Zed | Chap. 61

Tommy kept a tight grip on my shoulder, making growl when his nails kept digging into my skin; he was nervous I could hear his heart beat increase by the second. The bounds around my wrists irritated and burnt as they began to cut through my flesh, but I forced myself to ignore the pain. It felt like forever since we had left camp, yet we still didn't seem to be anywhere near enemy grounds. I'm not even sure this kid knows what he's doing...

We walked for what could've easily been another hour before I finally detected signs of a nearby camp; the pungent smell of humans and smoke reached my nose and I groaned in disgust. I still can't believe I let myself get dragged into this, but I couldn't do anything about it now, we were already too close for my own comfort. I continued to play along, tolerating the sensation of a knife in my back and nails digging into my shoulder when we finally arrive at the enemy camp site. The area was quite large and I counted at least five or six tents wide enough to hold four grown adults.

Five or six tents. I'd say around fifteen to twenty men but there could be more.

I was pushed into the center of the clearing, feeling the eyes of every man present bore into my skin. My Wolf's fur stood on end, anxious but I calmed him down. This was no time to let our emotions get the better of us; if my covers blown, it's game over. A few men started gathering around me and the youngster. One of them, a gruff looking giant, stepped forward from the crowd, eyeing me with a disgusted pout on his lips before he gazed at the kid.

"Dis one of'm?" He croaked, pronouncing his words with some strange, commoner slang. Kinda sounded like an old Viking warrior. Had a similar physique too...

I assumed Tommy nodded by the movement I felt through his arm, locking my eyes onto the broad man standing before me. I swept my gaze around, taking in the number of people that surrounded and took brief notes of their weapons and overall physic. Most of them seemed to be around their early thirties, but a few seemed over forty but still rather well built. My train of thought was suddenly interrupted when I heard shuffling behind me; one of the men had pushed Tommy aside then kicked my knees, forcing me to kneel as the gruff men approached me. A smug smile lifted his lips as he leaned forward and gazed into my eyes with a sneer.

"Funny. Don'look like a werewolf to'meh. Too scrawneh." He hoisted himself back up and turned around, taking a few steps forward. I swear, if I wasn't tied up, I'd rip this jackass' throat right where he stands.

A cough clenched out of my throat, the wind kicked out of me when the bastard swiftly turned around and connected his fist to my stomach. A sharp pain invaded my ribs and I flinched, almost finding myself face first into the ground. I groaned and clenched my teeth as he crouched in front of me before pulling my head up by grabbing my hair.

"What'cha gon do lil'wolf? Don'tcha wanna rip me throat out?" I remained calm and simply starred into his eyes, unafraid of his threats. My Wolf was losing his mind, clawing wildly at my skin and demanding for my attacker's blood. Oh just you WAIT til I get out of these ropes, I swear I'm going to kill him first... I promised my Wolf who agreed to behave until the time came.

Gruff smiled deviously and stood back up, my glare glued onto him as I observed his every move. I heard Tommy nervously shuffle behind me as he asked; "Where's Curtis?"

The man smiled, picking up a knife from one of the small benches surrounding the nearest fireplace. It's blade gleamed under the light from a certain substance coating it and I felt my Wolf cower at the sight of it. It was laced with Wolfsbane.

"That ain't ya'businness kid." He responded, stroking the knife's handle with his thumb. "I'm the one here, so ya answer to meh. Got it?" I couldn't tell how Tommy answered as a silence lingered afterwards, the man now settling back his sights onto me. He grabbed his knife and pressed the cold blade against my throat. Every part of my body shivered at the sensation and my muscles tensed instinctively when the smell of wolfsbane enveloped me. My wolf begged to run away, but I had to keep my ground; the pack depended on me!

I saw Tommy step forward from the corner of my eye and I tried to talk to him through the link, but I was unable to reach him. "W-wait, what are yo—

- He ain't giving us an'thing. Why keep'em alive?" My chest tightened at his words and I prepared to give the signal at the first sight of trouble. To my surprise, I heard was sounded like a faint growl coming from the youngster, but I quickly brushed it aside as my imagination.

"Fine then, kill him." I flinched and shot a glance towards the kid, burning with rage.

"SON OF A—" I tried to free myself, but I was quickly held back by a strong pair of arms while my head was yanked back. Will pressed his blade against my throat as I huffed, wide eyed and utterly furious as Tommy continued.

"If you do though, I won't be the one to announce to Curtis you killed what could've very well turned out to be our only lead to the girl, but hey; he's not here so it's your decision to make." I switched glances between Will and Tommy, honestly surprised by the kid's sudden courage —or sheer stupidity. What is he trying to accomplish!? Does he want me dead?

As expected, Will took the knife away from my throat and pointed it towards the kid while he menacingly approached. "Don't... test me, boy. I've had enough of ya kind bossin'meh and me crew around like your better than us... Let's see just how great ya are" he turned away from Tommy and began walking up to me. "-when ya dam throat's cut out!

- CADE!!" I howled the signal with all my will, then broke my bondage free as I turned mid air into my Wolf, the camp suddenly flooded with chaos as my packmates emerged from their hideouts in the nick of time.

I was quick to jump onto Will, my jaws clamping onto his arm as he used it to shield himself. I ravished at the taste of his blood filled my mouth and my Wolf grinned at the sound of the bastard's flesh ripping beneath our fangs. I shook my head wildly, ignoring the man's cries of pain while I tore his arm apart but something slammed into my face, ripping a yelp out of my throat. I stumbled to the side and almost fell onto my side, blood trickling from the fresh wound above my eye. I snarled, trying to shake away the crimson liquid from my vision, but to no avail. Someone kicked my ribs and I tumbled to the ground, expecting to receive another hit but I heard grunts and shuffling nearby making me realize someone was fighting my attacker.

I took the opportunity to wipe the blood off of my face and gazed up, ready to leap into battle, but I was thrown off when I realized it was Tommy who had jumped to my aid; the boy was stuck in an arm to gun wrestle with his opponent, struggling to secure his end of the fight. I was quick to jump back into battle, finishing off the man with a quick bite to the neck before I shoved his lifeless corpse on the ground. Panting, I took a moment to catch my breath while the others began to chase away the remaining survivors.

I turned towards Tommy who had fell onto his knees, completely winded. My brain was still processing what had happened, but I shook my head in disbelief; this kid turned out to by much braver than I originally thought... In fact, he seemed to be kind of witty. Not bad.

"You good?" I mumbled, looking up at Tommy, but the kid wasn't paying attention; he kept frantically sweeping his gaze across the area, apparently looking for something.

"TOBBY?! TOBS, WHERE ARE YOU?" His voice was laced with desperation and fear. I remembered he had mentioned his little brother was held captive here and my heart sank when I noticed there wasn't a sign of life anywhere in camp. Was the boy transported somewhere? IS he even alive?

A whimper escaped my throat, assuming the worse. I stepped forward, my ears folded back in sadness for the kid.

"Tommy...?"

-*-

Remember to leave a vote and comment! I always love to hear your feedback :3