Chapter 1- To Own Another

Stepping outside the castle, Naofumi breathed in fresh air, a content smile upon his face.

"Damn. It feels good to be back."

When the war began, Melromarc had been the first Kingdom to fall. Many assumed it was done intentionally, as a means of inciting panic to the rest of the world.

"That theory never made sense to me." Naofumi had disagreed.

Their enemy was so powerful that she could have killed them all with little more than a thought on her end. It reminded him of those overpowered enemies he read about back in his Otaku days. Except this time, there was no 'bonds of friendship' power-up that gave them the ability to save the day. They lost.

"But not anymore." He shook his head. "If I really have travelled back in time somehow, I've gotta make the most of it."

To do that, he first had to ensure that he never got framed for the stupidity that the kingdom intended for him. This would take some setup, but thankfully, the bulk of the work had already been done for him.

Time to head to the bookstore.

"Welcome-!" the shopkeeper suddenly gasped. "Are you the new Shield Hero!? It's a pleasure to meet you! How may a humble shopkeeper like me, help you out today?"

Said shopkeeper was an older man with a rotund belly. Jovial in appearance, with glasses on his eyes, he looked like a stereotypical librarian if they were overweight. Naofumi merely nodded at him in greeting.

"Hello. I was looking for a couple books in specific for me, and my party." That he didn't have yet, was left unsaid. Closing his eyes in thought, he tried to recall his list. "First I'll need a copy of the Beginner Adventurers guidebook. It comes highly recommended from an acquaintance of mine. Following that I also wish to grab a monster compendium, and a comprehensive cookbook for the adventurer. Do you have anything of the sort?"

The man put his hand to his chin in thought. Nodding slowly, he left his desk and went to the storeroom out back. Naofumi put his hands in his pockets as he waited for the man to return. It took a little longer than expected, but eventually, he came back with a wide smile.

"I think I've found exactly what you're looking for young man!" he announced. Throwing the four rather thick books onto the table, he motioned to each one in order. "First, is the Beginners Adventurers guidebook you talked about. We only had one left in stock so you're lucky you came today! Next is the Monster Compendium; it has almost every race from here all the way to Shieldfreeden. Some larger, and far rarer ones excluded, of course. Then we have two cookbooks. One for more basic recipes for the beginner chef, and another for the most advanced palettes an adventurer could have. Just by the look in your eye, I can tell you know your stuff. So I decided I'd throw this one in as a free bonus. Most adventurers typically go for their meals in taverns, but I can tell. You enjoy cooking, don't you."

Naofumi was momentarily shocked by the kindness displayed before chuckling lightly.

"You're right on the mark, there. Thank you. I appreciate it."

The man nodded happily before tallying up the other three books.

"So that'll be 3 silver for the guidebook, 2 for the cookbook and 5 for the monster encyclopedia. If that is acceptable?"

Considering he got a far more expensive book for free on top of that? It was no issue. Naofumi placed the correct change on the desk before bagging up the items and walking out the store, waving his hand over his shoulder.

"First thing ticked off my list then." He pondered his next move. "I was initially going to go straight to the magic store and pick up the things I want there, alongside some new clothes at the tailors but…"