Chapter 15

Chapter 15

“Its Caroline's birthday today.” I said to Klaus as I looked around the mansion that was almost complete.  “Go say happy birthday, spend the day with her.”  And I sighed,  “I don't think I'm welcome.  I haven't spoken to her in ages and I'm not on great terms with Bonnie.”  I admitted and Klaus shrugged,  “Go make yourself known, Caroline would want you to be there.  What did you tell me the other day?  You've been friends since you were in diapers.”  I smiled.  “Fine,  I guess you're right.”  I said softly.  “So are you moving in with me?”  Klaus asked and I raised an eyebrow.  “What do you mean?”  I asked.  “I mean, I don't want to live in such a huge house on  my own.  Stay with me.”  I smiled and looked at the ground.  “Don't make it sound like we’re dating Klaus.” He frowned,  “Too friends living together?  That's not a problem is it?” I let out a small laugh.  “When will you un-dagger Rebekah and the rest of your family?”  I asked him softly and he looked at me,  “When the time is right.”  

I knocked on the door will a bag filled with gifts for Caroline.  She opened the door and I could see Elena, Bonnie and Matt standing behind her.  My eyes widened,  “Uh, I just wanted to say happy eighteenth birthday.  Congratulations, you're now legal to drink in England!”  I said laughing passing her a bag of gifts.  “Why did you get me so much?”  She asked peering into the bag and i shrugged.  “While I was in Canada I found a bunch of cool stuff that i thought you would like and ended up with bags full.  Its only little things, jewellery, nail things, hair things, makeup a bit of alcohol and there's one thing that is kinda sentimental, I wasn't going to give it to you after everything that's happened between us and -“  She cut me off.  “Calm down Rose.  Its fine, I'm sure ill love it.”  She said and I smiled.  “Well I guess you have things to do today, so I wont keep you.”  I said spinning on my heel and then i heard Matt’s voice.  “Hey! Rosie, why don't you come with us?”  He called after me and i could see Elena nodding along with Caroline.  Bonnie stood there with a scowl upon her face.  “Okay that sounds good.”  I said softly.

We walked through the graveyard and towards and open stone shack.    “This is creepy.”  Bonnie said as we walked through holding lanterns and torches.  “No Caroline's right.  Technically, she's dead. But you don't need a birthday, you need a funeral.”  Elena said as she set the cake down.    “You need to say goodbye to your old life so you can say hello to your new one.”  I smiled at Elena’s gesture. “She right.”  I agreed.   “Okay,”  Caroline said nodding.  “Here lies Caroline Forbes.”  Caroline began.  “Cheerleader, Miss.Mystic Falls, Third Grade Hopscotch Champion.” Elena said with a laugh as she began to put the candles in the cake.  “Overachiever, daughter.”  Bonnie said with a smile.  “Mean girl . . . sometimes, no offense.”  Matt said with a laugh.  “Ah, none taken.”  Caroline said with a chuckle.  “But most importantly, a great friend.  A best friend.  A caring,  loving person.”  I said softly.  “She was seventeen and she had a really great life.”  Elena said as she picked up the cake and walked over to us.  “So rest in peace so she can move forward.”  I smiled.  “Amen….Or cheers! or whatever!”  Elena said and we all began to laugh.  “Oh, uh Bonnie.” Elena said gesturing over towards the candles on the cake and Bonnie let out and, oh, and closed her eyes and then suddenly the candles were lit and everyone began to smile in amazement.  Bonnies smile was so wide it made me roll her eyes, she had to show off every chance she could.  “Make a wish.”  I said.