Authors Note

I created this book in 2016 when I was in 7th grade!  My friends were on Wattpad and they knew I loved to read and write so they were like, you should make an account.  So I did.

Funny thing, out of all of my friends, I'm the only one with an active account (though it really isn't that active:)

I created this story because one day on the bus ride over I had a dream about two kids being put in a hole by their parents, the same way that Noah and Alana were.  It sounds really weird because it was really weird then and now but at the time, I thought the idea was so creative (terrible) but awesome.

The first chapter I wrote was in my history homeroom and I remember thinking that Mallory was based off me.   I have never gone through what she has, nor I wish too, but her strength and determination and courage was something that I desperately wanted.  I lived those character traits through her.

My freshman year of high school, to be completely honest I sort of forgot about this book.  I went to a new school and I had to start all over in making friends so I was focusing on that.  But then one day during one (of my many) boring study periods, I came up with another story idea.  When I wrote that first chapter, I remembered this book.

At that point, I was probably around 15 chapters in.  So I started writing more chapters.

My sophomore year was my toughest year of high school and I once again completely forgot about the book.  I think I wrote 2 chapters that school year (if that).

My junior year, I picked up again and I reread what I had originally wrote and as I read it my thoughts consisted of, "this is terrible, I don't know why I ever published this chapter."  That was for every chapter I had written!

So as I wrote new chapters (which I could note when I had written it based on how it was written), I edited the other ones.  I edited and I edited and still to this day (October 24, 2021), I still feel like I need to edit the earlier ones more.

When Covid came around in 2020, I wrote a lot more!  I wrote it at home and during school especially long period studies.

Then right before I graduated high school I decided that I needed to unsubmit everything because I knew it needed more and more editing.

I also created a cast list because I had always wanted to do that, and that is actually why I'm writing this note to share with you how I envision my characters.

It has been 5 years and I am still writing and editing this book.

Writing this book has been an experience and I am so happy to have written it (even though it is not finished yet).

Thank you to everyone who has read my book, who has read the title of the book, looked at the cover (I created these also during Covid when I was supposed to be paying attention to class) and to my friends who made me get Wattpad when I was 12 years old (as I'm writing this I'm 17).

Love you all dearly,

Morgan