Smart Home system: the emergence of IoT technology

How do IoT smart home systems work?

Smart home systems use a distributed network to store and process data. The systems transmit the data to the required device, rather than gathering data to a central unit. When the IoT smart home system stores data locally, it reduces the traffic and provides fast transmission of data. The distinctive aspects of IoT smart home systems combine multiple sources of data and use predictive analytics to perform a task.

Smart Home system: the emergence of IoT technology

· Smart switches: The most basic IoT smart home device is smart light switches. These switches work like a traditional switch but offer you more than just turning on/off an appliance. When a home appliance connects to a smart switch, it allows the user to perform various other functions. The user can adjust the brightness of lights, use time-scheduled functions, IFTTT, energy statistics, and more. For example, if you forgot to turn off lights before leaving for work. You can use the app to view the status of all home switches and turn them off.

· Smart plugs: Smart plugs help your home devices in case of electricity fluctuation. Keep your devices safe from damage by using a smart home outlet. Remotely control all of the home devices and their functions. Smart outlets send the user an alert message in case of electricity failure so the user can take corrective action.

· Smart controllers: The central control unit for all IoT smart home devices is a smart controller. A smart remote universal controller connects all of your home devices into a single network. The controller lets you use any function of every smart home device no matter where you are. The app for the controller has a user-friendly interface, the app sorts the devices according to rooms and floors.

· Smart gateways: For all smart home devices to communicate seamlessly, a smart home system requires a gateway device. A gateway device acts as a bridge between the smart home devices and the controller. The gateway passes the instructions of the user to the required devices. This device allows the homeowner to use different types of smart home devices at once. For example, turning on AC, monitoring the person at the doorstep, and more.

· Smart security: Smart security devices help you secure your home from criminals in your absence. These devices add a layer of security to your home and send you alert messages when they detect motion. When someone tries to open your door lock, the device will trigger an alarm to warn the criminal. You can also program these devices with other gadgets. For example, when you open the door, the lights should turn on.

· Smart cameras: Use smart cameras such as smart ring doorbells and outdoor security cameras to improve the security of your home. Outdoor cameras have a wide-angle lens that covers all of the areas around your home. With a night vision lens, the camera records high-quality videos even in the dark. Also, these cameras have infrared sensors that can detect motion in low ambiance. The smart ring doorbell camera lets you view the person at your doorstep and communicate with the visitor.

What are the risks associated with the use of smart home systems?

· Identity theft: Hackers can try to steal information from the user and misuse it. The massive data breaches can lead to applying credit cards, loans, buying mortgages, or other acts. This is known as identity theft. Hackers can also perform an illegal act on your behalf and you will have to face the consequences.

· Location tracking: By tracking the location of the homeowner, criminals can plan a robbery. If the homeowner is away for a long trip, by determining the location criminals can easily break in. The hackers can do this by sending a malicious software link to your smartphone. When you download those links on your phone it provides the hackers with details of your location.

· Rogue recordings: Hackers can make use of your virtual assistants and create security loopholes to record your voice. Criminals can misuse recorded voices in various ways. To protect yourself from such situations, you can delete all the stored recordings.

· Data manipulation: Smart criminal minds try to manipulate the data collected by smart home devices. When criminals break into your house, they can replace the existing recording with fake data. Prevent such cases by using advanced security tools for your devices, the devices should trigger an alarm when they detect motion.

Interfree has worked to resolve all of these security issues by ensuring two-factor authentication, QR code setup, and real-time alerts.

Are smart home systems worth it?

Apart from security concerns, we still cannot deny the fact that smart home systems improve our home experience. From providing us with the convenience to the security of our homes, there is so much more. The main focus of smart homes is to provide us with low-cost and energy-efficient results. With real-time alerts, we always stay connected to our homes. Security cameras, door sensors, and other devices help us protect our homes from criminals. When criminals see a security camera, they hesitate before taking an action. Also, we can monitor our kids, elders, pets, and deliveries. IoT smart home devices allow us to create custom scenes and create an environment to focus on our work.

Some homeowners may be reluctant to invest in smart home systems due to maintenance and other costs. As more people are becoming familiar with the benefits of the technology, the market for home automation products is rapidly increasing. Smart home products will improve help us automate our daily life tasks. In the future, we can expect the majority of homes with IoT smart home products.

Interfree is one of the top companies that develop smart home products. We offer a wide range of home automation products ranging from home security to switches. Our home automation products contribute to the better development of smart homes. If you want to buy smart home devices for your home, Contact us at: https://www.interfree.com.au/