quarantined

Living with your best friends during a nationwide quarantine seemed like a good idea when you agreed to it, but after the 5th night of wandering the huge house late at night because you couldn't sleep, you were starting to think you should've stayed where you were. At least at your own place, you didn't have to worry about sneaking around so as not to wake anyone up.

Luckily, no one seemed to notice that you woke up earlier than everyone else in the house or went to sleep later. Or if they did, no one said anything.

Day five

Tonight hadn't been going so well. You had tried showering, you hadn't eaten for at least a few hours before trying to sleep, you turned your lavender diffuser on, you'd even tried yoga. Nothing helped, and you were left staring at your ceiling.

Frustrated and uncomfortable, you rolled out of your bed, sock clad feet pattering across your room and slowly pulling your door open. You made your way through the house and out to the pool, letting the cool night air wash over you. A deep breath fell from your lips as you began to pace around the deck, hoping to tire yourself out enough to sleep.

After a few minutes, you heard the sliding glass door open, looking up and finding Colson stepping out with a blunt in his hand. He smiled tiredly at you, "you're up early."

You raised an eyebrow, "what time is it?" You figured it was 4, maybe 5 am.

"Almost 7," he looked concerned, "you okay?"

You were trying to figure out how you managed to stay up until 7 am without a wink of sleep, "yeah, just couldn't sleep. It's cool though. Why are you up?"

Colson lit the blunt as he spoke, "couldn't sleep either."

Day eight

You found yourself curled up on the couch, reading a book at 5:30 in the morning after hours of trying to fall asleep. You swore if you stayed in your room a second longer, you'd break something, so you snuck out to the TV room with the most boring book you could find.

"Do you ever sleep?" Colson's voice surprised you, making you jump lightly in your seat. The man chuckled at your reaction, taking a seat next to you.

You pouted at his glee, "I could ask you the same thing."

He shrugged, "sleep is for the weak."

A sarcastic chuckle fell from your lips, "oh yeah, I feel so strong and cool right now."

The man laughed with you, but soon turned serious, "serious though, are you good? Both nights this week I haven't slept you've been awake, and I know you don't take naps."

You sighed, "it's just insomnia, I've been dealing with it on and off for a couple years now. It's not a big deal."

He cocked his head in curiosity and worry, "how much sleep have you been getting?"

You ducked your head in embarrassment, "I slept for an hour at like 3, hopefully I'll fall asleep again at some point tonight."

Colson frowned, "can I help at all?"

A small smile fell upon your face, "sometimes talking helps, but honestly not much else. It's not that big of a problem, though. I've been dealing with this for a while, I'm used to it."

He looked shocked, "dude, you sleep for a few hours every night! That's a problem. I don't even know how you're still alive."

"Like you've never gone a couple days in a row without sleeping," you said sarcastically.