Chapter One

Chapter One

I trailed my fingertips across the spines of the many books on the shelf while humming the song It's Time by Imagine Dragons which was currently stuck in my head.

I'm was at our the public library, searching for a classical book. I love reading, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Books have always given me comfort whether in time of an escape from the real world, or to just pretend to be someone else even, for a short period of time.

I remember the first time I read a book out of my own interest, and not because of a school-related work, or out of force. I was eight years old, and I was wandering around the whereabouts of our house, and stumbled upon my older sister, Alice's room. I was looking for a toy to play with amongst the things that were on her shelves then something caught my eye. It was Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Beautifully illustrated caricature adorned the cover. As a kid, I was fascinated. When I opened the book, illustrations danced across the pages, and the text was big enough for a child to not lose interest. I guess that's where my love for reading started.

I stepped out of my reverie, and into reality, I saw a familiar book spine, and fastened my pace a bit to reach for it. All of a sudden, a guy comes strolling in between the shelves where I was currently situated. He then scans the area. As he saw me, he gave me a small smile, and nodded, acknowledging my presence.

I looked over at his profile, and saw that he has shoulder-length curly jet black hair, just like mine, that seems to be uncombed but suited him. He also has a prominent jaw, and a pale complexion. His height towers over my five foot, five inch frame but is also lanky, and skinny but just like his hair, it suited him well.

He flashed me a smile then turned to a book near the book I was currently looking for, and then slid it out of its place, and skimmed the backside, containing its summary. I come by beside him, and take out my designated book, I saw him from the corner of my eye, glancing at the book that was in my hands.

He spoke up saying "Hmm, into classics, I see."

I looked up at him, and gave him a small smile, replying, "I'm trying to broaden my bibliographic horizon."

I glanced at the book he was holding, and saw that it was The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

"That's a good book. One of my favorites." I said while pointing at the book in his hands.

"Oh, yeah. My friend told me, it was, so I'm here checking it out." he told me.

He outstretched his hand, and said "Hi, I'm Ezra."

I adjusted my brow-line glasses that was sliding down my nose then met his outstretched hand and shook it. "Nice to meet you, Ezra. I'm Scarlett."

I let go of his hand and said, "Your friend seems to have good taste."

He gave a small grin then replies, "Yes, he does." I chuckled.

"You have a nice laugh," he said with a lopsided grin on his face.

I felt a blush coloring my cheeks, so I looked at my shoes, "Uh... Thanks."

After feeling the pinkish color of my cheeks subsided, I took my phone out of my pocket, and looked at the time since I didn't wear a watch. I saw the time and said, "Well, I better get going. It was nice meeting you, Ezra."

He smiled back, and said, "Likewise."

I nodded, and turned around heading for the main table where the process of borrowing, and returning books happened. I stood behind of the main computer, and greeted Mrs. Bostwick, the librarian.

I scanned my library card before she scanned the bar code on the book. She hands me my newly borrowed book, and I gave her my thanks.

-

After stepping out of the library, I set out to walk to the nearby park.

The weather was nice. The air was chilly, and the sunshine on your skin felt nice. I removed my hair from its previous ponytail style, and let it cascade down until the middle of my back, and ran my fingers through it as a habit.

As I arrived in the park, I took a seat at the bench I call my own, and stared at my surroundings, thinking about what has happened throughout my day.

I remembered this morning, how mom and dad left for work, and Alice went next door to hang out with her friend. How I was left alone, and didn't want to do nothing, and decided to go to the library. How I met Ezra, and if I would see him again.

I stop myself before I started to over-think. I let out a sigh, opened my book, and started reading.