Chapter Four

• Dedicado a Ashley and Moira

Chapter Four

"Guys, this is Ezra."

A mix of greetings from all four girls was directed to Ezra. 

"Ezra, this is Luna, Claire, Soph and Jaymes." Pointing at each girl as I said their name.

Luna spoke up, "Grab a seat."

I sat on my chair and Ezra took one from a vacant table, placing it beside myself and Luna.

Soph being the bold one, suddenly said, "So Ezra, do you have a girlfriend?"

"Soph! That's too personal." I groaned at my Soph's act.

"What? I'm just asking a question." She said, feigning innocence.

Ezra chuckled and said, "It's okay. No, I don't. Never had one, in fact."

"Really? Why though?" Jaymes asked.

"I don't know. Maybe because I haven't found a girl whom I can be completely be myself with." Ezra simply answered.

Claire smirked at me in a mischievous way before asking, "What do you look for in a girl?"

Ezra stared off into the distance while answering Claire's question. "Just a simple girl with similar interests as myself such as music taste, a love for reading, someone who'd understand me and vice-versa, someone I can depend on and who'd depend on me. Someone nice but still has a backbone, makes a stand and isn't ashamed to speak her mind. "

Since Ezra was looking out the window, he didn't see the grins plastered on my friends' faces directed at me. I gave them a confused look, not getting what seemed all four of them had understood.

Ezra seeming to snap out of his reverie asked, "How about all of you? What do you look for in a guy?"

"Well, just like you, we want someone who has similar interests as us. Most likely, we'd be attracted to someone who has the same interest or hobbies as ourselves." Claire said.

Jaymes verbalized, "But we don't really limit to a person who has the same hobbies such as ourselves but it just shows a higher risk of relating to one another. But what matters are you and that person have a connection and that person makes you happy." 

I smiled in awe at Jaymes for her deep insight but I'm not surprised though, because I knew she could take the most confusing feelings and turn them into words. Ezra seemed to be impressed at Jaymes' words and nodded.

Luna joined in the conversation, "Jaymes' is into fellow artists. Claire's attracted to fellow dancers, Soph likes guys who are into photography and I like guys who are musicians."

Suddenly, he turned his head to me and said, "How 'bout you, Scarlett? I didn't hear Claire mention what kind of guy you're into."

I slightly blushed at the sudden attention and scratched my head before giving an answer, "I'm not sure, though. I don't really think about this kind of stuff since I don't see myself in a relationship. But to answer your question... Honestly, it's just the same as your answer, as long as I felt happy and a connection then I wouldn't push it away, I guess."

Ezra nodded, understanding my answer. He suddenly said while standing up, "Excuse me, ladies. I'll just go buy a drink for myself." And flashed his smile at us before leaving for the counter.

 Once he was out of earshot, each of them said comments about him. Some being, "Scar, I think he's the one for you." "You two are meant to be." "It's fate." while having dreamy expressions on their faces.

I laughed at their faces and what's coming out of their mouths. "You are all delusional. Come on, just because I'm near to what he describes to his dream girl or whatever, doesn't mean we're," I do air quotes again "meant to be or it's fate."

Luna cooed and said, "Can you see it? You met him at the library because you both love reading. You're both vague in personality. I swear, I could feel your connection."

I said and chuckled, "Luna, this is reality and not Hollywood or films."

"Girls, shush. He's coming back." Jaymes warned. 

Ezra walked back with a coffee cup in a hand and a warm smile on his face. I, along with the girls flashed back a smile. He sat down and took a sip. 

Claire asked, "So, how come we haven't seen you around before?"

Ezra set his mug down and said, "I've been here my whole life but due to my extreme shyness when I was younger, I didn't go out that much... Then one day, I was just tired of being cooped up in the house and being anti-social, so I got out out of my shell and went out. It was hard at first but I met new people and befriended them... You can say that I was tired of being my shy self and transformed into the complete opposite." 

We all listened intently at what he had said. Luna commented, "It really isn't obvious that you were shy and anti-social."

He chuckled and said, "Well, I guess then my transformation did its transforming."

After the group conversation, some of the girls conversed amongst themselves while some of them talked to Ezra and I. I sat quietly while finishing my cake and traced the patterns on the wooden table with my finger, half-listening to the conversations around me.

I felt someone nudge my shoulder. I looked over and saw Ezra with a concerned look on his face. After a few seconds, he mouthed, "Are you okay?" 

I nodded my head and whispered, "Yeah. Why would I be?"

He whispered back, "Well, you seem distant from your friends..."

 I shrugged my shoulders and replied, "Just tired, that's all."

He seemed he still wanted to press the subject but he dropped it, thankfully. 

All of the sudden, Claire's phone rang. She excused herself from the table and walked outside of the shop to take her call. The others resumed talking with one another while Ezra and I were quiet. The bells of the shop rang alerting the staff and customers, looking at the door, I saw Claire with an expression of grief and sadness.

She approached the table and fumbled with her fingers. Her total facade fell off and her facial expression did a 360 degree turn.

"I'm going to perform with the Team Uno next month!" She screamed while jumping as she couldn't contain her excitement and ecstatic feeling. 

Upon hearing the news, all four of us quickly got out of our chairs and hugged each other while congratulating her. Our squeals attracted the attention of the whole shop but we didn't care. Ezra was still sitting in his chair but was smiling at us for our demeanor. 

Team Uno was an elite dance group that represented our school. Claire auditioned due to us persuading her. She had the amazing talent but constantly questioned herself. From the start, we supported her with her dancing. Now, she's fulfilling her goals of performing with them.

(to be continued)