Chapter Twenty - At Night's End

I was silent for almost the entire journey to the bar Danny had taken us too. I couldn't stop thinking about the look on Chris' face. Texting or calling wasn't an option because I had stupidly let my phone die and now I was stuck at a table, eating dinner with a man I had no interest in, just to keep this secret of mine from my brother.

I wasn't feeling particularly chatty through the meal, luckily this didn't pose too much of an issue as Danny would not stop talking for a second. Honestly, this man was so much more self absorbed than I'd realised years ago. He proceeded to talk me through the entire time line of his career and boasted regularly about how he barely had to put in an effort to get to where he was today. 

Every now and again he would stop to ask me a question, only to interrupt me during my reply to tell me about another "funny" story of his. I swear to god my right pinkie had more comedy in it than his stories did. I kept spacing out as he spoke, thinking about how I was going to have to move, when I was finally getting comfortable. Thinking about how Chris had watched me leave with another man, but I hoped he would have known I had no choice. 

As we finished our food, Danny excused himself to go to the bathroom, finally leaving me to take a sigh of relief. Not long and I would be free. 

"Y/N!" A voice screeched excitedly from the direction of the bar. I turned towards the noise to be greeted my the two comforting arms of my best friend reaching out for me and engulfing me in a hug. 

"Oh my god, Soph!" I squealed in return.

"I've missed you! What are you doing here? Are you on a date?" Sophie excitedly reeled off as she released me from her embrace. 

"Kind of. It's awful. Please save me." I begged with a small smile. 

"One condition." Sophie replied with a devilish smirk. 

"Whatever it is, I'll do it." I quickly responded as I saw Danny across the room, heading back in our direction. "He's coming."

As Danny approached the table, he flicked his gaze between Sophie and I, before pulling out his chair to sit down.

"Everything okay?" He asked curiously.

"No...I...." I began, stuttering as I tried to come up with an excuse.

"Sorry, I'm Y/N's best friend." Sophie quickly intervened, sounding incredibly upset. "My boyfriend just broke up with me, I saw Y/N through the window. I'm so sorry to interrupt you're evening." 

It was incredible, she even managed to squeeze a few stray tears from her eyes. I quickly joined in on the rouse, needing no further prompting.

"No, it's okay Soph." I replied sincerely, "I'm so sorry Danny, I'm going to have to take her home and look after her."

"Oh, right, okay." Danny responded, "Can we finish this another time?" 

"Erm, yeah sure, maybe." I quickly muttered as I pushed myself out of my seat and collected my things. 

"Thanks for a really fun evening." I said, trying to sound as genuine as I could, even though it was laced with hidden sarcasm. As quickly as possible, I gripped onto Sophie's arm and together we quickly exited the bar and made our way down the street, out of sight.

"Thank you so much Soph. I owe you one." I said, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Yes you do." She said confidently, with a devilish grin on her face.

"What?" I asked suspiciously.

"We're going drinking." She said excitedly. 

I eyed her up and down, searching her face to see how serious she was about this, wanting nothing more than to go home to Chris.