Homesick

Keith was laying down on his bed in his room, not doing anything other than staring at the ceiling. To others, he seemed to be deep in thought, which he wasn't.

His mind was blank. After a few more minutes of staring he decided to get some water, it was late and everyone should be sleeping by now.

He quietly made his way through the ship halls and into the kitchen. Then he saw something or should I say, someone, he didn't expect to see.

He saw Lance, his so-called rival, he was holding a cup in his hands, wearing his usual blue robe and facemask. He didn't have that joyful expression on his face. In fact, he looked quite troubled.

"Lance?" Keith called out. The tan-skinned boy turned his head in Keith's direction, a mixture of a confused and surprised look in his eyes. "Keith? What are you doing up?"

"I should be asking you the same thing," Keith said crossing his arms. "But I just came here to get some water, couldn't sleep." He added.

Lance nodded understanding. "Now, what are you doing up so late?" Lance just smiled softly. "I just got some stuff in my mind, I thought maybe some tea would help me."

Keith walked towards him, leaning against the table. "Do you, uh, want to talk about it? It's fine if you don't." He said after staying silent for a few seconds. "No no, it's fine. I've just been feeling a little...homesick, y'know? I miss my home and family back on Earth. I just can't help but think of how they're doing and if they miss me."

Lance tried to keep a little smile on his face, but the more he thought about his family, that smile turned into a frown.

Family.

That word echoed in Keith's mind. He never truly understood what that word meant. He is an orphan, somebody without family. His father passed away and his mother left.

He didn't know what it was like to be a part of a family, let alone a happy one. Keith wasn't that good at comforting either.

He was silent for a moment, trying to figure out what to say before putting his hand on Lance's shoulder, slightly massaging it.

"You'll see them again, Lance. I have a feeling they miss you as much as you miss them." Keith said with a small smile while looking at Lance, who surprisingly smiled back. "Heh, thanks, mullet." Lance said with a chuckle after.

"You're never going to stop making fun of my hair, aren't you?" Keith rolled his eyes and took his hand of Lance's shoulder.

"Yup." The boys were silent after. Keith got his water and Lance was still drinking his tea. After a while in silence, Lance finally spoke.

"Do you miss anybody or anything from Earth? Maybe a family member, a friend, or maybe even a girlfriend? I'd feel so bad for her if you do have one-" Keith didn't answer.

He didn't really have anything back on Earth, no arms to run into, or a home to go back to, let alone somebody missing him.

Keith is gay, he definitely didn't have a girlfriend. He didn't even have a lover. Keith was silent, and it concerned Lance. "Keith? You alright there, buddy?"

Keith snapped out from his thoughts and nodded. "Y-yeah, I'm fine." Lance looked worried, Keith's expression was what triggered that worry.

"You seem to be out of it, you sure you're fine?" Keith just nodded in response. "I, um. I don't really have anything to miss on Earth."

"Really, not even a family member?" Lance asked in disbelief. Keith sighed heavily and looked Lance right in the eyes.

"I'm an orphan, Lance. I don't have any family." Keith said with a straight face, looking unfazed.

Lance went silent, he was in shock. He didn't know how to respond. He felt his chest go heavy, he felt so sorry for the pale boy in front of him. No family? All alone?  Keith...he's been alone this entire time?  Lance thought to himself.

"I... I'm so sorry, Keith. It must be really hard, not to have somebody by your side. I didn't know you were an orphan, I'm sorry" Lance's voice sounded so sad, he felt that way for Keith and he took notice.

"It's fine, Lance. There's no reason for you to apologize." He reassured. Keith remembered the time at the Garrison, he was made fun of for being an orphan. The kids back then would say he was not needed, useless, worthless, unwanted, they would say that's why his mom left. That's just a portion of it.

That feeling he felt before, came back. He felt like shit.

Keith was lost in his thoughts, bad memories coming back to him. "Helloooo! Earth to Keith?"

Lance's voice broke him out of his thoughts, that...comforting, soothing, voice. Keith shot his head up to look at him.

"Oh, great. Thought I lost you there for a tick." Lance chuckled. "Hey... If you want to talk or vent to someone, you can go to me, alright? I'm a professional at comforting!" He said proudly. Keith couldn't help but smile at that. Keith always found Lance's cockiness a bit annoying, but now...it made his heart skip a beat.

What is this feeling?

"Yeah, sure. I'll do that." He chuckled. Seeing Keith smile, was worth fighting for to see. Lance felt his face heat up, and at that moment, that smile he always had, that stupid and goofy but bright smile, returned to his face. Lance spread open his arms. Keith looked at him, confused.

"Bring it in, buddy" Keith was very confused now. "Bring...what in?" Lance giggled. "Give me a hug, mullet." Keith's eyes widened a bit, a faint sprinkle of pink appeared on his face. Lance sighed, he just went in for the hug instead.

Lance wrapped his arms around Keith's waist, engulfing him in a warm embrace. He started rubbing his back, in a comforting manner. Meanwhile, Keith, felt his heart go doki doki.

His face was flushed, he froze. Then, he hugged back, placing his arms around Lance's neck. They both didn't realize how long they were hugging each other until Lance pulled away, grinning. "We should go back to bed, yeah?" Keith nodded in response, still blushing from the hug but fortunately the dark managed to hide it.

They both started going their separate ways, until Keith turned around and called out to Lance, naturally, Lance turned his head back, stopping in his tracks.

"It was nice talking to you, Lance." Keith said with a smile. Lance grinned in return, then doing a finger gun with both of his hands. "Anytime, buddy!" He said with a wink after.

Keith just shook his head, smiling. "Night, mullet!" Lance said walking away, with his hand waving in the air and his back facing Keith. The black-haired boy giggled. "Goodnight."

And with that, both males returned to their rooms and both went to bed, thinking of what just happened between them, and slept peacefully after.