17. A Tough Situation

When Meng Huo opened his eyes, his sight welcomed Han Xin, who kept his promise and didn't move an inch from his spot. With curiosity, the injured man followed the prince's gaze and saw he was busy cleaning the blood stains from his wooden hair slide.

"Oh, you are awake," Han Xin said softly as noticed Meng Huo's open eyes. He put the hair slide and the towel aside, and leaned forward so that Meng Huo didn't have to tilt his head up to look at him. "Are you feeling okay?"

The simple question relayed so much care that Meng Huo felt so cherished. He fought back his tears, then slowly blinked, meaning yes. He didn't want to make Han Xin more sad or worried.

"Good," Han Xin nodded with a smile, "can I move you up a bit to give you some medicine?"

Meng Huo thought about saying he was okay, but it would take too much effort and at the end Han Xin would convince him to do what he asked. Therefore, he just nodded, saving his energy for later.

As if he was a glass doll, Han Xin pulled him into a half-sitting position gently before giving him the medicine. Then he replaced the bowl with another which had warm congee in it. Spoon after spoon, he fed the injured man with utmost care, making strange things to the latter's heart, and when the bowl was empty, he wiped his mouth and laid him back gently.

What a sight it was! A mighty prince was personally taking care of an injured man, rather than maids!

But that wasn't all.

Han Xin also started to change the bandages personally! Although he was used to seeing wounded men, whenever he saw the nasty choking mark, his heart skipped a beat. Who could dare to do something like this to a prince? With the sight, more guilt came. Like usual, he failed to protect the frail man whom he was about to marry, and as if it wasn't enough, the unfortunate incident took place in the main place, under their very nose!

Seeing the troubled expression on Han Xin's face, Meng Huo gently grabbed his hand, which was still resting on his delicate neck. Han Xin looked up to the calm face and sighed; even in that condition, Meng Huo was doing his best to console him...

The knock on the door broke their silent moment.

Clearing his dry throat, Han Xin yelled "come in," and retracted his hand from Meng Huo's warm grip.

With the assent, the door was opened and the anxious faces of the king and the queen were seen in the room. Meng Huo wanted to greet them properly, but Han Xin grabbed his thin shoulders, keeping him in place.

"My prince, how are you?" the queen asked motherly as she sat down a bit far from the mattress elegantly.

"I-I am fine, your highness," Meng Huo said with a hoarse voice.

"Don't talk!" Han Xin snapped at him immediately before pressing a cup of herbal tea on his lips, "drink it, it is good for the throat."

The king and the queen were in awe, seeing Han Xin doting on the prince of the East. Their curious eyes shifted between the flustered man and their son, and they liked the progress those two were doing.

"We just came to thank you for saving my life as well as to apologize because we couldn't protect you. Although we indeed wonder about the incident, we can come later when you feel better, " the king said very politely with an understanding smile.

"I-I can talk," Meng Huo replied, ignoring the angry glance Han Xin was giving him. Although his throat hurt when he talked, it wasn't that bad, also he had to ask them a favour too.

"We won't force you or ask for details, you can just tell us what happened in a few words," the queen reassured the prince who nodded in exchange.

"I was going back to our room to get the present for the little prince, then someone pulled me into a room and... beat me..."

Han Xin put his hand on Meng Huo's, giving him a silent support as he could assume how hard it was to remember that terrible time.

"Did you see the man?" the king asked softly a while later.

Meng Huo didn't want to lie, but he couldn't confess that he knew the man, it would only raise more questions. With his gnawing guilt, he shook his head, "I was scared and in pain."

"Then?" the king asked again and earned a glare from Han Xin.

"Then he said things about the good wine and the poor king," Meng Huo replied, omitting the personal parts of the Black Death's words.

"Are you sure you didn't recognise him? Why would he attack you if his purpose was to kill the king?" the queen asked without a hint of accusation in her tone.

Not wanting to produce any lies, Meng Huo made use of a head shake.

"He must have just grabbed the opportunity when he saw Meng Huo alone," Han Xin reasoned, "or maybe he hated the North and the East alike, so he targeted both Meng Huo and my father."

The reasoning was logical, so the king and the queen nodded silently while Meng Huo was dying out of guilt.

"Then we will leave for now," the queen said after a moment of silence and Meng Huo came back to his senses.

"M-My queen, my king... maybe it would be wise not to announce the happenings... at least for now..." Meng Huo almost begged them anxiously as his sister's life was dependent on the king's silence. If the King of the East learned that his plan was spoiled by Meng Huo, he would kill his sister without delay.

"Okay, let's keep it as a secret for now," the king agreed and the poor slave let out the breath he was holding in. Who knew, maybe the cruel king would think the Black Death screwed the mission. One could hope, right?