Useless

TW: PANIC ATTACK

After Running a couple more hours and some more corridors of my section, I slowed down my jogging pace into a walking pace as I stopped and sat down on the cold, dirty concrete ground of the maze. I reached behind my back and unclipped my knapsack. I untied the string and opened it up, pulling out a plastic wrapped sandwich and a water. I twisted off the knob of the water bottle and took a big gulp of water. The cold, wet liquid ran down my dry and sore throat. It felt like an absolute blissful heaven. I unwrapped my sandwich and took a huge bite and countless more within seconds until the sandwich was all gone. Finding an apple at the bottom of the knapsack, I rubbed it against the fabric ends of my shirt to clean it and took a bite from the crunchy piece of fruit goodness. I inhaled my lunch and took one more gulp of water before packing up and heading off again.

'Remember, never stay in one spot too long in the maze. Even during lunch' Minho's voice rang through my head from the first run in the maze I had. I recall every word and rule Minho told me during that run and will never forget.

I picked my jogging pace back up and turned around one corridor and ran right into a wall, or what I thought was a wall. I looked back up to see Ben on the ground. I stood up from the dirt ridded ground and dusted myself off before giving him a hand to help him up as well.

"What are you doing over here?" I asked, curiosity taking over.

"My route crosses through this corridor to the west side of the inner rim of section 5." He explained. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Just took my lunch break, heading over to the outer rim of the east side of section 5." I explained. We both nodded.

"First run going good?" I nodded, his gaze fell down to my hip. "What's that?" He asked. I looked down to see the blood covered knife hanging off my belt.

"Found it. It was my knife that Gally gave me back when I first became a runner. I lost it, remember?" I asked and he nodded. "Yeah, must have lost that night. I just found it at the end of one of the dead end corridors." He nodded again.

"Well, I'll leave to your running. Remember," He began.

"Be safe." We said in union since I knew exactly what he was gonna say. He gave me a bad look before chuckling and heading off down his corridor. I headed off as well.

I had a little more than half an hour left until the doors closed. I began to head back, however when I turned left down a long corridor. I stopped.

Blood.

There was a pile of dried blood on the stone. It was beginning to fade due to the time it had been there, yet it was still noticeable. An assortment of claw marks dug into the concrete stone ground was just beside the fading crimson.

A pain shuddered through my body. Tears began to well up in my eyes as my breathing became hasty and fast. A ripple of flashbacks tore through my thoughts causing my mind to be blank besides those memories of the griever. Those memories that I had received after being stung. I fell to the stone, my knees colliding against the cold ground. The tears began to fall and my breathing became more ragged. My fingers brushed against the cold stone and over the dried blotch of blood. My last breath was caught in my throat and became stuck. My body thrashed as I sobbed aloud, the memories kept coming, though there was a new one that I didn't recall remembering.

"Ben... Finley... the world is becoming a very scary place. I want you to understand that, okay?" An older women with blonde hair that was the same as Ben and mine.

"What are you talking about mom?" A younger version of Ben sat beside me on a white couch. The whole room was white and had clean, modern edges and a huge window that overlooked a city. It was beautiful.