Going It Alone

Having managed to build himself up a makeshift crutch out of any wood and sticks that were lying around, Matei made his way out of the den and back into the woods.

It was seemingly impossible to find Jana. He had tried all the obvious places and called her phone twice already, only to have it go to voicemail. He knew that he didn't have time to waste looking for her.

Since he didn't know who had his sister, it would only worry him to hang around any longer. The more time that passed, the more danger Emilia could be in. He had no choice at all, since the rest of the pack were too busy doing whatever, he would have to go it alone.

He began hobbling through the woods, back towards the city, going to check the Kafe for Jana one last time before anything else. The truth was that he was used fighting alone, and being the glue that held himself and Emilia together. He had been doing it for so long since their parents had died that he just didn't know how to stop...but he wanted help with this. Not because he couldn't handle it, but because he didn't even know where to begin tracking down his sister.

Together, he and his sister had seen and dealt with a lot. He knew all of her hiding places and was used to finding her any time she ran away from bullies at school or even from the rest of the pack, but this was different. Way different. This wasn't just some school bully or a dispute with the pack, this was a real kidnapping.

All of his senses were screaming at him to go to the police but he couldn't. It would be far too risky and may end up exposing their entire species. The only thing he could do was use his senses and hope that he would pick up some trace of her scent. It would be challenging since he could barely walk at the moment, but he was tough and wouldn't give up no matter how much pain moving around would cause him.

The pain would be worth it when he had his sister back safely by his side.

It was late afternoon, almost evening by the time he reached the main area of the city. It was full of people and he could barely get past any of them as he struggled to even see in front of him. That's the trouble with large cities, they almost always have crowds whether it's midday or midnight.

City lights were beginning to get brighter as a dark blue replaced grey in the sky. A clap of thunder sounded and rain began to fall, lightly at first but quickly getting heavier.

Matei huffed in frustration. Heavy rain and a thunderstorm would most likely hold him back even more, especially in the state that he was in. He wished that Jana was there to help now more than ever.

Then a thought struck him.

He remembered the scientists who were out to get them for blood testing. They had grown suspicious a while back but had not posed a threat.

Maybe they were the ones who took Emilia. It would make sense since they knew that he would do anything for his sister. They were most likely using her as bait to trap him and the rest of the pack in the labs.

Finally, everything clicked into place. There was only one more problem now...

If he was to go straight to the lab to get his sister back, then he would be walking right into their trap.

In order to get Emilia back and not get caught by the scientists, he would have to come up with a diversion to distract them all while he sneaked in and got his sister out.