Proud

Written By: Layla Ellaboudy

Y/N was quickly pacing back and forth in her room, trying to come up with things for her menu. You see, Y/N is a little girl who dreams of becoming a successful juice store owner, along with her cousin B/F/N. Construction for her store was already finished so it was time to come up with menu items and prices. Y/N wants to open her store by December, which wasn't too far away. She had already told everyone that the opening party was at the beginning of December, but she was running out of time. Y/N kept biting her nails with a stressed look on her face. She was trying to think of someone who could help her. She couldn't think of anyone. She was about to give up, when suddenly, she remembered something, she DID know someone who could help her. Someone creative! Someone who had really good taste! Someone who could come up with really good ideas in a matter of minutes! Someone she was close too! Someone owned the store alongside her! Yes, it was none other than her cousin and business partner, B/F/N! She sat at her desk, opened her computer, and face timed B/F/N.

"Hello?" B/F/N said.

"B/F/N!" Farida yelled at the top of her lungs as she hugged the screen.

"N/N"

N/N was the nickname B/F/N had given Y/N.

"I miss you!" Y/N said happily.

"I missed you too!" B/F/N replied.

"So, how are you?" B/F/N asked.

"Stressed!" Y/N said, sighing.

"It's stressful having to open a store in a month and you don't have any menu items to sell, right!" B/F/N said.

"That's why I called. I need a few ideas for the menu!" Y/N said, nervously.

"Don't worry, I got you! Let's see! I have:

Strawberry and banana milkshake

Banana and peach milkshake

Peach and mango milkshake

Fresh lemonade

Fresh orange juice

Fresh strawberry juice

Fresh mango juice."

"I have many more if you don't like those-" B/F/N reassured Y/N before she was cut off. "Are you kidding! Those are AMAZING! I've designed the menu, I just need to add those on! I'll call you when I'm finished! Thanks!" "Bye!" B/F/N waved before ending the call. Y/N Immediately got to work!

About a month later, on the day of the opening party, Y/N had already made almost 100 copies of the menu and put them out. That afternoon, the store had around 10 customers. The happened week after week after week. Once Y/N realized this, she gets unhappy! She decides to call up B/F/N and tell her this.

"Hey, B/F/N. Don't you think we need more customers? I mean we only get like 10 to 15 customers a day! It's not enough!" Y/N was starting to get angry!

"What do you mean, the store is getting the perfect amount of customers?" B/F/N asked. Y/N said

"Not enough for me! I always thought it would be more successful than this, especially because of our ages!"

"Things don't always turn out how we want them to, but as long as we work hard, things will get better!"

"No way! I'm out of here!" Y/N yelled as she stormed out!

"This is SO PATHETIC! How could I even think that I could be a successful store owner? Why did I do this to myself? All that hard work and excitement would have turned out to be worthless anyway! What was I thinking? I'm only seven! How could a seven-year-old open a successful store? All this time, money, hard work, and excitement was for nothing-" She paused when she suddenly found another store across the street. Without thinking twice, she quickly walked over and went in. It was a pretty small store. It only had a couple of tiny, dusty, half-broken, tables, with cushions on the floor.

"Hello! How can I help you?" a voice said. It startled her but she calmed down when she saw an old man sitting with a kettle and tea-cup in his hand.

"Oh! Hello sir! I was just looking around!" Y/N laughed nervously.

"Sir! If you mind me asking, how many customers do you get?" Y/N was curious.

"Of I don't mind! I have at least one or two a week!" He said, a smile creeping onto his face! Y/N was shocked.

"Why are you smiling sir? Are you happy to have such little customers?" Y/N was confused.

"Why, of course! I've always believed that grateful people get more than they could have ever imagined!" He smiled!

Y/N smiled back, looking back at your shop!

"Thank you, sir! You're very wise!" Y/N thanked him and left. Y/N skipped back to your shop and entered happily!

"Oh, hey Y/N! Listen I've been thinking of a few ways we could make more money. We can put-" B/F/N was cut off!

"No B/F/N! You know what? I'm really happy with the amounts we're making!"

"Why the sudden change of heart?" B/F/N asked.

"Well, a wise man once told me that grateful people get more than they could have ever imagined! I'm really happy with the store, B/F/N!" Y/N exclaimed.

"I'm proud!"