Chapter 1: And He Rose

The day Arthur rose from the Lake of Avalon was just like any other. Clouds filled the grey sky, short shocks of light rain startled passers-by, trees stood fresh and tall, and the sun hid shyly just out of sight. It wasn't particularly dramatic. There was an underwhelming golden glow glimmering faintly under the waves at the edge of the lakes drop-off, and then Arthur rose, spluttering and swearing, clothed in his Camelot armour and long red cloak. A confused and rather rattled Gwen wearing a humble but rich blue gown joined him, glancing around in an unfocused and wonder filled sort of way.

"Guinevere," Arthur breathed, staring at his wife, unbelieving. Jolting forward in one sudden motion, he grasped her shoulders and searched her face, reassuring himself that she was truly there.

"Guinevere," he repeated, and pulled her into a tight embrace.

"Arthur..." she whispered, voice breaking. She hugged him back, and Arthur inhaled her familiar scent, stroking her curly brown hair.

After what Arthur deemed a far too short amount of time, Gwen pulled away reluctantly.

"How...?" She murmured, cupping his cheek in her hand. A single tear slid down her face. "You...Arthur, you died...!" she paused, eyes widening slightly as realization washed over her. "I...died..."

"I wish I could say I knew for sure," Arthur replied. "But the most I can tell you is that is has to do with—"

"Hey!" A brash, familiar voice called. "Can't you two love birds pull away long enough to at least explain what on God's green earth is going on here?"

"Gwaine!" The king and queen chorused, both breaking out into grins.

"The one and only," the knight smirked, and sloshed his way over to join the couple. He jerked his thumb behind him. "And the whole gang is here too!"

Arthur turned his attention to the point Gwaine had gestured to, and he saw Percival, Leon, Elyan, Lancelot, and Gauis trudging in a soggy group towards them. Arthur couldn't help but laugh in surprise and delight. It would appear that in some odd twist of fate, even those that they had lost long before Arthur had returned to the land of the living once more.

"Elyan!" Gwen cried, hands flying up to her face. She dashed through the shallow water, and threw herself into her brothers waiting arms.

"Gwen," the dark knight wrapped his arms around his sister tightly.

Arthur, feeling somewhat uncomfortable and as if he was invading a personal moment, turned away to face the rest of the knights who now stood in front of him, all with varyingly wide grins on their faces.

"Men," he said simply, clapping Leon and Lancelot on the shoulders fondly.

"Oh, no, you're not getting away with just that after all we've been through," Gwaine said firmly. He lunged forward and caught the king in a raucous bear hug. Percival laughed heartily and wrapped his huge arms around the pair. Sharing grins, Lancelot and Leon joined the dog pile with the ferocity of those who had lost all and had now somehow gained it back.

"If you don't get off me this instant, I'll see the lot of you in the stocks for the rest of your sorry lives!" Arthur bellowed from beneath his knights, voice muffled. But joy softened his words, and his savage intent came out more as a teary and elated one.

"Of course you will, sire," Gwaine soothed. "We're all quivering in our boots."

Nevertheless, the knights gradually unpiled themselves from on top of Arthur, and stood in a messy circle, all of the big, tough men grinning hugely and teary eyed.

"Sire," Gaius said fondly, inclining his head.

"It seems we have all returned, Gaius," Arthur said, disbelief evident in his tone.