(A Court of Thorns and Roses) 2

Prowling ahead of me, the beast's horns spiraled toward the night sky, and tendrils of hot breath curled from his snout. I could see Tamlin better now, with all the time we would expend in the journey. I guess his faerie and beast sides were the same.

"The Treaty required a life for a life, right?", I ask after what looked like hours.

"Yes."

"What will happen to my family, then?", he didn't bother to turn around.

"Does it even matter to you, human? They didn't seem to care about what would happen to you."

"So gentle."

A huff of air that could have been a bitter laugh. Well, I would ask about it later. I didn't have a chance to think as a charged, metallic tang stung my nose. Exhaustion slammed down upon me and blackness swallowed me whole.

I awoke with a jolt atop the horse, secured by invisible bonds. The sun was already high.

I now know I hate the bloody and metallic smell of magic. I wanted to wash it away. Chirping birds flitted past me, and a mild breeze kissed my face. I spied a hedge-bordered metal gate ahead.

The estate sprawled across a rolling green land. It was veiled in roses and ivy, with patios and balconies and staircases sprouting from its alabaster sides. The grounds were encased by woods, but stretched so far that I could barely see the distant line of the forest. So much color, so much sunlight, and movement and texture... the artist in this body was amazed. I need to say I am too.

Despite the vibrant colors, everything was silent. Sweat trickled down my spine, felting it as creepy as I. The doors swung open for Tamlin on silent hinges, and he prowled inside.

I, however, was not so used to riding horses. My fall was awful to watch, I wasn't feeling my legs, and every muscle hurt. Rides with Lucien were definitely out of the list.

When I was steady enough to walk, I left the horse at the bottom of the stairs, taking the steps one at a time.

Inside, it was even more opulent. Black-and-white checkered marble shone at my feet, flowing to countless doors and a sweeping staircase. A long hall stretched ahead to the giant glass doors at the other end of the house, and through them I glimpsed a second garden, grander than the one out front. I followed the smell of food.

A long table filled most of the space. It was laden with food and wine—so much food, some of it wafting tendrils of steam, that my mouth watered. At the end of the table, a humanly Tamlin was sitting.

He was... beautiful. I couldn't deny it.

"May I eat? I'm starving."

He looked a little surprised by my sudden good manners. I let him dream.

"Yes.", a man of few words.

"Well, I see we have a visitor.", Lucien strode past me, heading right for the head of the table. "That scrawny thing brought down Andras with a single ash arrow?"

"Oh, yes. So strange he didn't try to fight, isn't it?"

A smile.

"Anyway," the fox-masked one continued, facing his companion again with a sneer. "Perhaps there's a way to—"

"Lucien," Tamlin said quietly, the name echoing with a hint of a snarl. "Behave."

Lucien went rigid, but he hopped off the edge of the table and bowed deeply to me. "My apologies, lady." Another joke at my expense. "I'm Lucien. Courtier and emissary." He gestured to me with a flourish. "Your eyes are like stars, and your hair like burnished gold."