there and gone

I wheeled her out of the hospital, for what I knew would be the last time. Neither one of us spoke. I knew it'd just lead to us fighting. Her about how it was only natural, how she'll still be here with me even after death. Then I'd fight back saying that I wanted her to live and that she was only being selfish by not trying. Harsh as it was.

So instead I helped her out of the chair and into the car.

The drive was also silent, save for the radio she turned on. An old country station that she'd say makes her feel at home. So i continued our drive back home while the radio played.

"Jack . . " I looked over at the sound of her now near whisper like voice. Putting my eyes back on the road and making a signal to go on.

"Let's have a picnic." I stopped car once home and put it in park.

"A picnic?"

"Yes, like the ones in the songs. On your tailgate." I smiled at the idea and nodded.

_

I looked over to the empty passenger seat, to the volume control set to mute, and to the spot where we had out picnic. Like a whisper I could feel her hand on my cheek. I shivered at the wind, but like so many other things, it was gone like that.

So . . . What do you think?
What are your thoughts?
🤔 💭