CHAPTER 3

"Fifth grade, huh?" Tyler exclaims turning to Bode, I look up from my pancakes. "It's maybe time to finally make some friends" Tyler continues.

"Hey, I was kind of busy last year doing battle with a demon" Bode reasons, Tyler breaks out into a grin. "I'm just giving you shit. We all.. we all had a lot of distractions last year, but this year you're free so, you know, go and be a social butterfly" Tyler tells him.

"But I have you guys, plus a girl in my class who had a phobia of butterflies" Bode says, I look down at my plate and bring a fork full of pancake to my mouth. "Just do the social part then" Tyler urges.

Both of their heads snap at me as I let out a chuckle, I stop my fork with pancake right in front of my mouth and look up. "What?" I ask letting out another chuckle, "it sounded funny" I mumble before stuffing my face with the pancake.

"You're gonna do great, bud!" Nina tells Bode, he still looks unsure after hearing the encouraging words. Kinsey stands up and walks over to Nina.

"Here, I made you lunch" she exclaims, Nina brightly smiles "Oh, Kins, that's so sweet" she says surprised. 

"Make sure you get a parking pass from Bernadette" Kinsey tells Nina, "If you don't, she has a power trip about getting people towed" Kinsey continues.

"Parking pass. Got it" Nina repeats, "Don't use the soda machine in the field house. It eats dollars" Tyler adds handing Nina her almost forgotten coffee.

"Don't skip your lunch and don't overwork yourself!" I pop in on the conversation. "You can text us!", "We're literally gonna be right there" Kinsey and Tyler say at the same time.

"Guys!" Nina suddenly exclaims overwhelmed by the sentences thrown to her head. "I got it!" she smiles.

"We don't doubt it" I smile while sticking my thumbs up at her, my eyes follow her frame as she leaves the room. The front door slams shut and we all continue eating. 

After a while Kinsey and Tyler stand up from their seats, "We have to go" Kinsey tells me. "But we'll be fifteen minutes early?" I tell them while looking at the small silver watch clasped around my wrist.

"We don't want to be late" Kinsey reasons, "Okay, you both wait in the car. I'll be right out" I say, they both nod without and within a minute they both grabbed their coats and headed out of the door in a deep conversation.

I turn to Bode, "What's up buddy?" I ask him. I clasp my hands together and place them on the counter before me as I observe his facial expression. 

A small frown takes over his features and I slightly tilt my head, waiting for him to speak up. "I don't know, I guess I'm just scared" he admits.

"Scared of what, bub?" I ask him, he looks down at his hands while playing with his fingers. "I'm afraid no one is gonna like me, that I won't be able to make any friends" he tells me.

"How can people not like you?" I scoff, "I mean, are you kidding me?" I ask in disbelieve.

"You" I say pointing at him, "You are an amazing, talented, smart, funny, incredibly sweet little guy. If they don't like you then that's their problem" I tell him, my voice has become extremely soft after hearing his confession.

I lean closer to him and bring my hand to my mouth, "They might have been dropped too many times as a baby" I whisper to him.

Bode giggles but still looks a bit unsure, "Listen, you have nothing to worry about. Once your classmates see how incredible you are, they will all want to be friends with you. Plus you will always have me to guide you!" I assure him.

"You really mean that?" he asks, I softly smile at him. "I really mean that" I tell him.

Bode looks relieved to hear those words, he gets up from his chair and falls into my arms. "Actually I might have to look out, don't want them stealing my best friend away from me" I joke.

"They won't, you will always be on top of my friend list" Bode says into my shoulder. "I love you, Angel" he mumbles.

"I love you too, bubs" I tell him while petting his back.

"Angel! We're leaving" I hear Kinsey shout at me from the front door. "Coming!" I yell back, "Okay, so don't worry. You got this! And if you ever need me, you know my number" I reassure him.

"Thank you" Bode smiles as he pulls away from the hug, "Now go before they leave you here" he chuckles.

"Tyler wouldn't do that.. Kinsey on the other hand" I trail off making Bode laugh once again. "Okay, okay, you're right. I'll see you after school and you'll tell me how it went, yeah?" I say while making my way to the front door.

"Bye and have fun!" I tell him, I grab my bag and coat before walking out the door.

Once I reach the car I open the door to the passengers seat and slip inside. As soon as I'm seated Kinsey leans forward, resting her hands on mine and Tylers head rests.

"What took you so long?" Kinsey asks, "now we're gonna be late" she groans. I chuckle at her, "we'll still be five minutes early" I tell her.

"Okay, let's go" Tyler speaks up, he starts the engine and drives off.

"By the way Kins, you look hot" I tell her, "not as hot as you" she retorts while sitting back. Tyler gives me a side eye, "yeah, yeah you too" I laugh.

He gives me a satisfied smile, his hand reaches for mine and he grabs ahold of it. With his thumb he traces shapes on my fingers, a blush rises to my cheeks and I look down at our hands as if he wouldn't see it.

After a bit we arrive at school, "see five minutes early, what did I tell you?" I state. I turn to Tyler, "I'll see you in a bit, Kinsey is forcing me to walk in with her" I tell him giving a sarcastic side eye to Kinsey.

"I am not! It's a tradition" she scoffs, a small smile evident on her face. "Good luck, I love you" I tell Tyler with a small smile, completely ignoring Kinsey. I peck his lips and unbuckle my seatbelt.

Kinsey gets out of the car and opens my door, I reach down to the ground to grab my bag and place one foot out of the car. "Hey, woah, not so fast" Tyler says holding my wrist.

I look back at him with a confused expression, "A kiss" he says pointing at his lips. "But I just- you know what never mind" I peck his lips again and this time he lets me go. 

"See you later! Have fun baby" he tells me, Kinsey and I walk away from the car. 

I hear Tyler say "I love you too!" and I quickly look over my shoulder to smile at him. Kinsey links her arm with mine and we walk to the entrance of the school, "Okay so we're sitting together at lunch" I repeat after her, she nods.

"Great I will see you then" I smile at her. "Hey!" Gabe greets us, "This is my cue" I chuckle and unlink our arms. 

"Hi Gabe" I wave at him sending him a quick smile before disappearing into the school building.

a/n:

sorry for the long wait, I appreciate your patience:) Have a good day ily!

Don't skip your meals!!

and thank you for 1K reads on this story<3