ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ: ᴘᴇʀɪᴘᴇᴛᴇɪᴀ

【2.06】

06】

(n.)  a sudden or unexpected reversal of circumstances; the point of no return.

♡♡♡

Mujika told me it isn't moral to judge a stranger, but I seriously don't like him.

I don't like his sour expression, or his bad posture, or the weird-ass stripe in his hair. It's safe to say that I strongly dislike the man, and firmly believe that he's useless in the kid's quest for freedom. Emma, however, disagrees, which creates a very awkward atmosphere at the dining room table, where every living being in the house is watching her.

"...we're going to meet with Minerva, and we'd like you to be our travel guide and bodyguard." Sorry, what? I drop the spoon I'm using to eat my soup. A loud clang echos in the room, exaggerating the man's lack of response.

I'm situated at one head of the large table, the man is at the other. Emma sits to his right. Being insecure about my lack of a weapon earlier, I pickpocketed a gun from Ray. I don't know where it came from, but it's not like he needed it anyway. I felt much better having it on me, even if there were no bullets inside.

"Guide and bodyguard?" He finally asks. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's completely lost here. His eyes dart over to mine as Emma continues to talk. He stares inquisitively, but I don't reciprocate the civil look. I still don't have any intention of letting him into our family. Their family. I correct myself.

Emma continues to go on about how capable the man is, with the kids chiming in a few times. Comments are made about his worn shoes, the fresh fruit in the pantry, and his deadly accuracy with a gun. It all goes to show that, despite his exterior, he's an adequate survivor. And in Emma's eyes, he's just what they need to find Mickey. Mickey? That's not quite right...

Emma reaches into her pocket and pulls out a yellowish envelope.

"We found it unsealed. You guys must have tried to search for him, too, just like the letter says...even if you gave up later." The man scoffs at her statement and leans back in his chair.

"In your dreams, suckers! The hell should I care? Get out of my shelter." I wish I had stopped expecting Emma to finally give up, because Emma will do as Emma does. And to nobody's surprise, she still retaliates to the man's dismissal.

I feel a tap on my shoulder. It's Lanni.

"How was your shower? Hot and steamy?" He's smiling like he's asking me about a present I received. I don't have the heart to tell him my shower was cold as hell.

"Yeah. Hot and steamy."I shoot him a grin, and focus once more on Emma and the man's back and forth quarrel. The gun is heavy in my lap.

"What the hell do ya need me for anyway? You've got her." I can tell by the obvious distaste in his tone that he's referring to me. I glare at him. Emma turns my direction and smiles apologetically.