Chapter 113

"and remember to always put parenthesis when inserting your equation into your calculator."

you turn your neck side to side to crack it. the loud 'pop!' sound rings out over the sound of the air conditioning. ectoplasm pauses after his sentence, giving everyone the opportunity to copy down what he just said. after a majority of the class looks back up to the board, your math teacher writes down a problem.

"this equation only has one solution. solve it for me."

you stare at the seemingly complex equation written down before copying it into your blank notebook. "rai, please attempt to write down the steps."

you look up at ectoplasm who stares knowingly at you. half of the class turns to you and you only blow your white stand away from your face. "yes sir." you push your hair back and get to solving the equation.

you can practically see the steam blowing out of your classmates' ears. you were softly tapping your foot as you casually wrote down the steps with no use of a calculator or a break. after some moments of hearing pencils scrape against paper, ectoplasm clears his throat. "who has the answer?"

multiple of your classmates raise their hand. "kirishima?"

"negative thirty over eighteen?"

"wrong. rai?"

you put your hand down and rest your cheek on it. "negative five over three." you say before looking at a defeated kirishima. "you have to simplify."

"man.." kirishima rewrites some things down.

"please, come up and show your steps."

all eyes goes on you as you scoot your chair back and stand up. your skirt sways in the direction of your steps until you're finally at the board with a piece of white chalk in your hand.

"and describe what you're doing, please."

you mentally sigh. ever since the truth came about that you have your father's intelligence, your teachers have been more up your ass than they were before. even if you know the answer to everything they teach, they still single out you for some reason.

-9x^2 = 30x + 25

"add nine to get it on the same side as the other numbers, leaving zero on the other side of the equal sign."

you can hear your classmates' pencil's jot down everything you write at an insane speed.

"the variable with the exponent goes first, so a equals to 9, b equals to thirty, and c equals to twenty-five. after figuring that out, you plug it into part of the formula, using parenthesis of course."

everyone watches as you effortlessly write down your new equation. (30)^2 - 4 (9) (25)

"put that into your calculator..." you pause and stare at the ceiling. some watch in jealousy as the cogs in your brain move and you're able to solve this in your mind. "it equals out to zero, so now you're left with the other part of the equation."

-30/18

"opposite of b is negative-thirty, and a, which is nine, has to be multiplied by two, which comes out to eighteen."

pens click, highlighter caps pop and pencils leave their mark on paper as your classmates continue to watch you solve this like it's kindergarten work.

"thirty divided by eighteen is negative one-point-six repeated, but a decimal can't be the answer, so the fraction to that is..." you take a moment to let your brain come up with the answer.

your classmates can practically hear the whirs and robotic pieces go off in your mind.

"negative five over three." you write the answer and circle it, the small crumbs of the chalk falling to the ground.