CHAPTER 38

Ragnik's car came to a halt in front of Sashidhar's house. It was an old building with a traditional architectural style. There was not much space in front of the house, just a plain old boundary and black iron gate. Shomak didn't like that prevailing silence surrounding the small two-story building. Earlier it used to emit only happy vibes. Though it had seen deaths, the core spiritual Vastu of the building was otherwise quiet homely. He remembered from his earlier visits. 

"Why is it so silent here?" Ragnik asked walking towards the main entrance.

"The plot isn't on the main road," Shomak said unable to provide any explanation to Ragnik's question.

"Shomak, it's evening, you cannot expect a deserted road!"

Shomak glanced at him once before opening the gate.

They cannot deny that there was rather an odd silence. It was eerily quiet. They could even hear their own steps. "Sashidhar kaka?" Ragnik called pressing the bell twice. He pushed the door with a little more force, "locked from inside." He loudly called Sashidhar's name again.

There was no answer.

"Do you think we should have called him before coming?" Ragnik took out his cellphone to dial Sashidhar once.

"He is very punctual and rarely comes late from work." Shomak tried checking through the window.

"Is there a power-cut? I do not see any light switched on inside the house."

"Maybe. He is not picking up?"

Ragnik shook his head. "That's strange. He doesn't skip calls."

"Must be taking rest. He keeps a spare key for his house help." Shomak went towards a cluster of pots kept neatly in a corner. Lifting up the middle one he found a small key.

"Come, there's one more entrance from there," Shomak pointed towards another corner.

They went around the left side of the house looking for signs of trespassing. A small iron single door properly secured by a huge lock came into view. Shomak opened the door carefully with the key. Pushing it with a gentle press they walked into a dark corridor. It was a narrow entrance beside a very stiff looking staircase.

The main hall was a few steps away, Shomak informed. They climbed up two short steps to reach another door. To their surprise, it was left open.

"He keeps this door open for the house help but not completely ajar," Shomak parted a thin drape hanging over the open door to walk in.

As they went into the main hall calling for Sashidhar, they abruptly halted. They were not prepared to see a deadly sight as such. Standing close to each other panting, their eyes went wide in shock, their hearts started experiencing sudden momentary jolts. Not a word came out.

The cold breeze coming from that open entrance behind them send another chill down their spine.

Sashidhar's house help's eyes were looking straight towards them from her bent head. Her dead body was lying flat on the ground with her head forcefully bent backwards. Her hands were twisted and her legs spread in a triangle.

"Sashidhar kaka?" Ragnik whispered. 

"Ke?!" a mad furious howl echoed through the house as they jumped back watching a dark figure leaping out from the top of a cupboard. It walked tilting across the wall and ran towards Sashidhar's room. 

Shomak and Ragnik stood frozen for a minute. Then breaking out from the trance they rushed towards Sashidhar's bedroom. "What was that?" Ragnik panted while Shomak just shook his head.