Chapter one

Sight was overrated. At least, that was the affirmation. It was not the worst thing in the world at all. When you can hear the sound of water crashing against the shores, or when the boats begin new lives each morning, you didn't need to see anything. Especially on an island like Crockett Island. 

Rosalie Booker was fine with being blind. She didn't have a problem with it.

Rosalie knew what to expect each day. She knew what to hear and feel when the next day starts. Wake up. Get out of bed. Start the morning coffee. Hear the beep when the coffee got too high in the mug. Get dressed. Get ready for the rest of her day and feed the cat who comes outside her door without being late. And each morning she thought, maybe the cat was getting too fat. Maybe she was pregnant and it was time to take her in. She just didn't want to take her away from her friends, all the other strays that roam around the island. 

Of course, she knew it was the same little kitty who came to her door. The very slight shapes were the same, the same meow as she rubbed against her legs with a purr and gobbled up any food she left out. Turkey was her favorite, next to shrimp.

After that it was off on the same route. From her little home she used to share with her father to the general store. Rosalie would hear greetings and good mornings from some of the people on her way, though she barely remembered some of their faces. They were only words now. 

She swiped through the dusty roads with her cane, nearing the general store. It was just in time to open up, despite someone most likely being inside. Rosalie takes her keys from her pocket, feeling for the door knob. Before she could put the key through the keyhole, she hears the screech of the knob as it then leaves her hand. 

"Rosalie," she hears his velvet voice slide through her ears. "Good morning. Sorry, I've been here all morning with Joe." She smiled slightly knowing very well she was right. 

"I could tell," she replies with a hearty laugh, pointing to Pike who laid panting on the porch and enters the store, putting her things to the side behind the counter, and sets everything for the day up. Customers only came when they really needed something, as the general store was the only main store on the island. 

Sometimes the occasional person came simply to make conversation with Rosalie, not buying anything from there, most likely thinking she was lonely, she thought. That was of course after her father died. She used to be with her father everyday. She could never be lonely as the late Sheriff Booker brought joy to her day. 

Until he passed. Most people assumed she couldn't go on by herself. Being blind and running a store without her father as the sheriff? It was impossible to them. But she proved them wrong every day, going to work and making something of herself still. 

Even as the new sheriff took his role not long after her father's passing, she proved she didn't need the help others thought she did. The blurriest of images and splotches across her vision didn't stop her from enjoying her life. 

Sheriff Hassan never treated her like the helpless girl most believed she was. He assumed the role of Sheriff and since then they saw each other every day. She could hardly believe someone would do the job as well as her father, but Sheriff Hassan was a natural, and kind at that.

Sheriff Hassan nods but then replies, "Yep, Joe Collie caused some trouble last night. Saying something like," he pauses backing up, imitating Joe, "an albatross."

Rosalie laughs, ignoring the fact that Joe was still not doing well. That was always something to just ignore. No one did anything about it, even when it cost someone's legs.

"You want any coffee? It'll be good," she says getting up from her seat, grabbing her cane. The cane swipes the floor, scratching against the old hardwood, although Rosalie knew the store like the back of her hand. The general store hadn't changed for many years, even after she moved away and then came back to Crockett Island. Everything was the same. Same old houses and neighbors she thought she'd outgrow. Only thing that did change was her sight, the dwindling population, and at the off chance, new people.