Wedding Day

My thoughts aren't supposed to be about you. 

I am getting married today. 

But as I look at myself in the mirror, I suddenly have this rush of questions. Do I really want to do this? Is this who I really am? Is this what we are going to be for the rest of our lives? Will I regret this? 

And how do I face you later? 

I was just glad you didn't have to be at the traditional ceremony. I was thinking if it is us, would we wear the same kimonos? Both black? Or would you be up for wearing a colorful one? Who will take one's surname? I would argue we keep mine but it would be nice to be called by your family name. Masahiro Ishikawa? Kind of long but I like it.

With all these thoughts, I realize I shouldn't have made you my best man for this reception wedding. You will be witnessing everything up close. And I do not want to do that to you. But everyone expected you to be by my side. None of us can be brides. I guess this is the closest thing we can have.

I could have made you an ordinary guest. Someone with no participation at all so no eyes will be on you. This is all my fault. Because I stand there with her, in my mind it would always be with you. You can come right back at me when it's your turn to get married.  It is just that I managed to go first. 

I am that age people wonder why I remain unmarried. I have to do this. I have to this for you. For you? I am just trying to make myself feel better.

We both know how this turns out, right?

Then there is someone knocking at the door. Masa walks to it and opens to see the face he's most anxious of seeing.

There, Yuki shines in his suit. Yuki smiles. Masa thinks he probably is overthinking but how Yuki would feel about today's ceremony.

 Yuki fixes Masa's collar. 

Are you ready, Masa? 

They were just standing there. No words. Just eyes. No one seems to give up. It is uncertain how long they're going to stay there. Are they both trying to hold on to whatever is left of the past?