1 - Guantanamo

I stared blankly at the flickering TV in my living room, a numb feeling overtaking my body. Faith Seed's face was plastered on every news outlet as the documentation of her transport to a Pentagon holding facility was reported. It seemed that whilst the government had deemed her one of the world's most deadliest human beings they still wanted to study her like a lab rat. 

'No doubt they're trying to manufacture the Bliss somehow...' I mumbled to myself. Capturing and arresting the four Seed siblings was supposed to have been one of the greatest moments of my career and yet I felt no sense of victory in their incarceration. Instead I was regularly tormented by the flashbacks of everything that had occurred in Hope County. Glancing at the clock on the wall, I took the remote control off of the arm of my sofa and switched the television off. Time to get to work. Sighing deeply, I got to my feet and shuffled to my dimly lit kitchen. A single lightbulb hung solemnly from the ceiling and flitted on and off.
'Damn generator needs work again.' I mused as I prepared myself a coffee. The bitter granules burned my tongue as I downed the drink before grabbing my keys from the hanger and heading out to the station.

                                                                                                     ***

'Rook? Are you listening?' A thick binder slammed down onto the desk in front of me and I jumped, pulled out of my disassociation and into reality.

'Y-yes Whitehorse. Sorry, I got distracted for a moment.' Placing my hands down on the file before me, I felt my blood run cold at the sight of the words scribbled on the cover. My face grew pale and I looked up at Whitehorse who grimaced at my contorted expression.

Operation Seed Siblings

'What the hell is this?' I asked coldly, eyeing my superior with daggers. 'I told you I wanted nothing more to do with these people.'

'I know Rook and if I could ask anyone else to do this I would but-'

'But what?!' I spat, pushing out from my chair. My arms were trembling but I braced my fingers tightly against the edge of the desk. It was the only thing blocking me from leaping at Whitehorse and clawing his eyes out.

'You've been deemed the most suitable candidate. You know those men inside and out, nobody is better to supervise them in their transport.' Whitehorse held his ground but I could see his eyebrows fold downwards slightly. My right hand scuttled over to the binder and I flipped it open, perusing the masses of paperwork.

'Transport? Are you shipping them off to some private facility to be dissected like Faith?' My eyes flitted over the plans that detailed staff requirements, safety protocols and even had blueprints of secure units to hold the Seed brothers in. Whitehorse's withered fingers intercepted my own and flipped the page to reveal map plans that spread across two pages. 

'Guantanamo Bay.' He grunted, tapping the map.

'Didn't even know this place was still running.' I said, looking up at the chief momentarily. 

'It's the most secure place for them until the end of their days. You'll go by boat, we're not taking any risks with flying vehicles again after last time.' He closed the binder but remained at eye level with me.
'Look Rook I know this is hard but it's out of my hands. When the FBI say jump, we have to jump.' Whitehorse searched my face but I found myself disassociating again and looking straight through him. Joseph. John. Jacob. I never thought I would have to see them again but it seemed that the world had other plans. 

                                                                                              ***

Rain hammered down outside as I sat on the vessel the following day. It rocked lightly as it remained docked, awaiting the arrival of the human cargo. Bitter cold tore through me and I tugged on the waterproof poncho that draped over my uniform trying to bring it closer to my body. Several other officers sat around me talking to one another in Spanish but I couldn't muster a word. I just needed to get this job done and go back to my quiet life. I looked up at the grey sky and the palm tree fronds whipping in the wind. Mexico was supposed to be known for its hot summer climate but today it seemed a storm was on the cards.