Chapter 120 Gift

The party was in full swing.

Everyone was having a great time.

Tables had been set outside so Suanni wouldn't feel left out, and Jiang Cheng had laid on a spread as if he was making up for sixteen lost years' worth of birthdays.

It was getting late, too.

Either he was getting too accustomed to Gusu rules for sleeping, or Wei Ying was losing his touch. He was standing next to the juniors talking about night hunts and something else, but he was feeling lower and lower, and with a start, he realised what it was.

Panicking because Lan Zhan wasn't near...and he turned and crashed into his body. Strong arms came around him, worry in those golden eyes.

Lan Zhan led him discreetly away; he had felt an echoing panic inside himself and knew something was off, only their close proximity to each other the balm that both needed. There was a gap between buildings and they ended up there, arms wrapped around each other.

No need to speak, just to feel.

Slowly they calmed, their hearts returning to a regular beat.

"Isn't it the oddest feeling, Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying whispered against his neck.

"What is?"

His deep voice was a comfort.

"There are so many people here, I suppose because of me...and don't get me wrong, I love all of them...but..." Wei Ying tried to sort through his words. "It's just that feeling..."

"Of loneliness." Lan Zhan replied, his fingers threading through the long hair.

"Yes, exactly that! I'm grateful for their company, and thank you for organising all this...but really...all I need is you. I have a Lan Zhan shaped hole inside me, and nothing else will fit. I need you more than air."

"Mn."

He didn't need to say anything more than that, Wei Ying could see all his emotions are clear as day, reflected in those golden pools.

"Lan Zhan?"

"Mn?"

"Is it bad to ditch my own party?"

"Not at all." Lan Zhan didn't care what they did as long as Wei Ying was happy. "Where does Wei Ying want to go?"

"Home."

********

Jiang Cheng stood next to XiChen, watching his brother return to Gusu.

It said something for him that, when he said home, he no longer meant Lotus Pier, he meant Cloud Recesses instead. He didn't know why that made him incredibly sad now...and it shouldn't, because he himself was spending rather a lot more time there too...

Maybe it was nostalgic sadness that those days were over, and there was too much water under the bridge now, too many things had happened to change one's perceptions.

"Let's drink!" XiChen exclaimed loudly, taking another swig from the jar on the table nearest them.

"No-" He tried to stop him.

Jiang Cheng twisted it out of his grasp but he was too late, because XiChen was already leaning against him, eyes closed. He looked at the jar in his hand and thought, you know what? I'm going to get drunk too. It was better than facing his thoughts.

*******

Lan Zhan held on tightly to his husband, feeling much better. He had discovered a way of transferring his spiritual energy in the most subtle way, and it allowed him to access how Wei Ying was feeling at any given time.