Birth

Summary:

"Eddie, Why does our heart hurt when you think about your family?"

Eddie slowly lifts his eyes to meet Venom's cloudy, opal ones. "You wouldn't understand," he sighs.

"Then why won't you let us? We don't want to feel this pain anymore."

In which Venom and Eddie are a lot closer to each other than before, Cletus Kasady writes one last letter, and there's much more to a certain reporter's dark past than what it seems.

Or: An alternate take on the latest Venom movie, including a deeper look inside Eddie's childhood trauma, Mr. Belvedere meeting Venom for the first time, and much more.

(Spoilers for Venom: Let There Be Carnage ahead, summary subject to change. Enjoy!)

---

AN: Me and my friends had a great time watching V:LTBC together, so I wanted to crank this idea out just in time for Halloween. It was a super cute movie by the way, I recommend it 10/10 ;)

A few things to mention~

- There are major spoilers ahead. You've been warned <3

- Venom goes by they/them pronouns :D

- I never read the Spiderman/Venom/Carnage comics, so if there's anything you think I should change/add let me know in the comments <3

- The first two chapters or so will mainly be a darker/revised retelling of the movie. :)

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy!

---

Venom realizes something very interesting about prison bars:

No matter which way you looked through them, the person in front of you always seemed trapped on the other side.

To Eddie, Kasady looks... trapped, imprisoned in a little square cell about two yards in diameter, as he wears a pale blue hospital outfit that matches his constricted, unblinking eyes.

However, to Cletus, Eddie looks trapped in an endless cycle of misery and regret, of violent urges nearly impossible to stem, of a longing for something not-so-much-different than Carnage.

So this is why he says the words that he does.

"I've been thinking a lot about you, Eddie... Because you and I are the same."

The thought of being identical to a psychotic madman responsible for the deaths of at least twenty innocent people makes Eddie want to sigh, or to throw up. He's so sleep deprived he can barely tell the difference between his own emotions anymore, not to mention how he's had to hide them ever since meeting Venom.

God, he really just wanted to go back to his apartment and sleep, but responsibility always calls. Eddie liked to think that his was almost over too, since an entire year had passed since he first interviewed Kasady. Thanks to Venom finding the sharp, rocky cliffside where multiple of his victims were located, the government finally removed the ban on his death penalty. Eddie's final task was to have one last exclusive, one-on-one interview with Kasady about his final words, before the demented redhead was streamlined to lethal injection.