__________?

How long had it been since the two had seen each other? Alela had been assigned god, and Wodahs the place of his brother. They fought over silly things: Who tampered with the flowers, who moved Alela’s crossbow, who forgot to clean up after Ater and Arbus… lover’s quarrels. The angel who was now god never really dressed appropriately for the job; wearing his usual sweater and scarf as he did before. Wodahs did the same to respect his brother (and not wear anything similar to Kcalb’s liking), and the new god and devil lived happily ever after…

Until Wodahs disappeared.

Alela searched for him all over; no inch of the Garden left untouched. The god would shout at the smaller demons and angels to continue looking, until Lowrie finally decided to let Alela know that he was being a bit tedious with having the students go on an adventure hunt for his lover.

“My lover?! Are you crazy?! We aren’t in love! I-It’s a story I ain’t tellin’ you right now, that’s what!! Okay?! Let’s leave it there…”

The god would sit upon his chair and stare at the empty seat in front of him; the lack of food seemingly bringing a thick cloud of gloominess about all of Blancblack. Without Wodahs to cook, what were they supposed to eat? Well, he was god; he supposed he didn’t have to eat, but… Wodahs’ cooking was so exquisite and memorable that it was hard to let go of the memories of warm hot pots heating him up in the winter, and the delectable cakes and pastries Wodahs would make on occasion (followed by a kiss; Alela was tedious for milk moustaches after enjoying his chocolate mousse).

It had been weeks, perhaps months, and not even the cats could find that devil. Although the god despised the cats, Ater especially, there was no way in hell he was going out there himself. Sure, this was Wodahs, and he knew well enough that the once head angel would go out of his way to risk himself to save Alela, but for some odd reason, that never seemed to tug the god’s chain… and silent he remained.

It wasn’t until one day there was an ominous feeling approaching the god as he stood out along that strip of land where Etihw and Kcalb used to divulge their time in. He wondered how special this place was, and when he felt what felt like a wing brush past his shoulder, he jumped, and turned to face a dark figure.

He wore black from head to toe, and his wings were a black haze. He had horns almost identical to Kcalb, and he was… wearing an outfit Alela could recognize from that war… he remembered it being white, not black. One eye was injured (like the head angel) and the red bloody scar tissue made for an excellent scare. The one eye that was untouched had a black sclera and white irises… like Kcalb. His hair seemed to be a darker tint of charcoal, and his gloves… were removed.

“Alela…”

He uttered, his heavy voice wafting through the air like cigarette smoke. He knew that voice… it was Wodahs. His face looked pained and weighed down with grief... the small gleam in his eyes told the god that deep down, he was delighted to lay his eyes upon the one he loved.

“H-Hea-…. Wodahs…”

Alela couldn’t even begin to ask ‘Where have you been?!’; the shock of the moment blew him off his feet. Wodah’s dark figure began to approach the god steadily, and tears began to well in the puny angel’s eyes. The words he kept locked up began burning the soft tissue of his throat, and when the devil finally approached, he placed his hand against the side of Alela’s face; the side where he still had an eye. The god blinked twice upon feeling the unusually cold hand against his cheek, but soon melted in the other’s touch with tears; Wodahs’ thumb gently brushing under Alela’s eye.

“Alela… don’t cry… I’m sorry I had to leave… I did not want to scare you with… what I have become… it is my fault for succumbing to my insecurities and fears… I should not have followed their lies…”

The god’s bottom lip quivered upon hearing what the devil had to say. Is this why… he left so abruptly? He felt terrible for thinking it was something else… and thankful that Wodahs hadn’t gotten himself killed. Wodahs’ fingernails were black like an ordinary demon’s, and the heat that swelled up inside the god only proceeded to melt him further.

“Wodahs… you were gone for so long and I thought you… I thought you went and got yourself killed you… you dumbass… head angel…”

Alela hiccupped in between his words, and the devil only gave a brief snicker; not even bothering to raise a smile. The god’s hands reached up sheepishly to hold onto Wodahs’ hand as if to keep it there, and the god slowly began to compose himself… just barely, with a few sniffles here and there.

“I didn’t think you would be so worried… I will make you dinner tonight, Alela, as a token of… of my… l…l…”

Wodahs spoke up, before he was cut off by a slight grin from the other.

“I’d like dinner, Wodahs… … … Thank you.”