Chapter 6: Combat

Artemis' Aunt Tina and Uncle Newt had returned from their travels in Norway just in time for Christmas, and Artemis had spent the holidays with them, only returning to Lovelace Crescent the night before the train back to school in early January.

"It's a shame Sally has to work this year," Artemis' Uncle had said as she helped him decorate the Christmas tree, taking care not to disturb the Bowtruckle that had made its nest amongst the branches. Artemis made a noncommittal noise. She knew that her mother had chosen to stay at home rather than spend Christmas with her. She was just grateful that she'd remembered to get her a present this year.

Her Uncle and Aunt had gotten her the best present she'd ever received: a tiny kitten with bottle green eyes and fur the colour of marmalade.

"It was your Uncle's idea," Aunt Tina said, between Artemis' expressions of gratitude. "He's wanted to get you a pet since you got your letter. I had to talk him out of getting you a Niffler. Can you imagine the ruckus that would cause in a dorm room?"

Rowan, who adored cats, was delighted to meet Artemis' new pet when they and Ben once again boarded the Hogwarts Express at the end of the holidays.

"What's his name?" She asked Artemis, as the kitten sat on the floor of the train compartment, fighting with her shoelace.

"I've called him Fergus," Artemis told her. "My Uncle bought him for me as a Christmas present."

"Of course he got you a pet," Rowan grinned, and she picked Fergus up and tickled his ginger cheek. "I'm so glad that we'll have a cat in our dormitory, it will help me stop missing Fuzzclaw so much. I hope Penny and Tonks don't mind, though."

"Why would they? Fergus is great," said Artemis. "Besides, it could be worse. Knowing my Uncle I'm surprised he didn't try to bring me back a baby Ridgeback."

"A Ridgeback? Like the big dogs?" Ben asked, sitting opposite them.

"What? No," Artemis laughed. "They're a kind of dragon."

"Oh, you mean a Norwegian Ridgeback."

"Muggles know about Norwegian Ridgebacks?" Rowan's eyebrows shot up over the top of her glasses.

"No, one of the boys in my dormitory told me about them."

"Right. Well, you definitely wouldn't want one of them in your dormitory," Artemis said, and Fergus climbed up her arm to rest on her shoulder, where he curled up into a ball, nestled against her neck. "How was your Christmas, anyway, Ben?"

"Good," he replied. "A bit stressful though. Only my parents know about Hogwarts, so I had to make up loads of stuff about school to tell all my other relatives. I was so worried about getting my lies muddled up. And I haven't been able to practise any magic, so I'm going to be bottom of all my classes, and I'll be a sitting duck where Merula's concerned."

"There was a spell to turn someone into a duck in that book, but I reckon Jane would think that it's a waste of time," Artemis said, smiling at Ben. "Don't worry, Ben. I've been practising the shield charm so I can help you with it, and Jane's promised to help all of us."

Jane kept her word. The first weekend back, she met Artemis, Rowan and Ben in the empty Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom to coach them in the spells they'd been learning.

"Not bad," said Jane, after they'd all demonstrated the spells on the practice dummies. "I think you should all practise duelling against each other now."

The colour drained from Ben's face instantly.

"Sorry, what?"

"You heard me," Jane said shortly. "Practising spells on dummies is one thing. Using them against another person, someone who is fighting back, that's completely different. If you're worried, why don't you go against Rowan first? Tickling is hardly going to hurt you."