Chapter 3 - Different Plans?

CHESKA

I heard my phone ring. It was James.

"Hello?" Grabe ang aga naman tumawag nitong lalaking 'to. I'm still so sleepy.

"Chekay, change of plans," sabi ni James.

"Change of plans? Nagbago isip mo? Agad agad? Hindi mo na ako pakakasalan? Ipapaubaya mo na ako kay Mr. 37 years old?"  Biglang nagising ang diwa ko.

He laughed, "Don't worry. I'm still going to marry you, but not in some courthouse. Ayaw ni Mommy."

"Why?" I mean, why do we have to change plans? Okay na 'di ba?

"Well, I called my mom yesterday. I told her about the wedding. And she knows we are in a hurry because of your VISA  but ..."

"But ... What?"

"Oh ... welll ... ummmm ... Chekay ..."

"WHAT?" binibitin pa ako.

 "My mom thinks you're my real girlfriend. And she doesn't want me to marry my girlfriend in 'just a courthouse'. Those were her exact words." 

"WHAT?" Ang gulo. "Why would you tell your mom that I'm your girlfriend? Mahirap bang i-explain na this is just marriage for convenience."

"You don't know my mom. She's been forcing me to get married for a few months now. And when I told her about this wedding. She kinda assumed ... "

"Why is she forcing you to get married?"

"Long story ... She had this cyst and she thought she would have cancer. Fortunately, the cyst was benign but after that bigla syang naging paranoid. She said I should be married soon so that she can still see her grandchildren before she dies daw. When I was telling her about our wedding, she was so happy and excited. She even has a hotel in mind already. I did not have a chance to correct her. You're meeting her and my dad next weekend. Can you act like this is real.? I'll call your Ate and your mom. I'll explain everything."

OMG. Marrying him  to get a VISA is something but marrying him and acting like this is a real marriage is another ... 

"Why can't we just tell her the truth?" hirit ko.

"Please Cheska. And ... oh, after the wedding, you'll have to live with me here in LA. My mom regularly visits my house." 

Ang usapan kasi namin eh we'll just get married but I'll still stay with my sis and mom. Kung baga eh for VISA purposes lang ang kasal namin. Only in papers. OMG ... this is getting complicated.

 "Do I still have a choice?" I asked.

"Well, it's either me or that 37 year old guy."