Prologue

Long ago there was a large town in an icy land off the main shore of Hecta. It was very quiet, and snow fell softly from the sky to the ground. It was the one place where it snowed all year around, and the lakes stayed frozen. The icy wall surrounding the town loomed over the returning foxes. Earlier that day, Holly and Colden received word from the inland that the Tribe meeting will be held in the Metal Tribes home court. This disturbed them greatly, there was never a meeting of all of them unless a new Elite had been found or there was an argument about land. Once inside they ran through the streets, saying hello to their friends and family, up to the palace. One of Lord Orion's youngest sons, Avalanche, was outside wrestling with his older brothers in the snow. He stopped to see his father's messengers run past. Avalanche snuck away, and followed them inside. Holly was in too much of a hurry to get to Lord Orion, she didn't notice his son was following her, and Colden. She glanced at Colden to make sure he still had the metal container between his teeth. On many occasions he would have lost it by now, which was impressive to Holly that he hadn't lost it yet. The guards at the door noticed the hurrying foxes and stepped aside once they saw the container, Avalanche was able to sneak by them into the throne room. Where he hid in a pile of snow in the east corner to listen to what all the hubble bubble was about. His father looked at his messengers, and drew himself up to look more like his part. He nodded at Colden, who approached him, and dropped the container at his feet. Orion reached down and placed a paw on the scanner, which lit up white and opened. Inside a video started to play, and the fox was Alina of the Light Foxes. "Lord Orion, we are grateful for the nine new elites. In which the two you have reported come from your tribe. We'd like you to bring them to the meeting, for further evaluation."

Lord Orion looked at Holly and Colden, who were confused. Two new elites in a tribe was rare, and unheard of in most tribes. The last tribe to have two elites was the Light Foxes about 3,572 years ago. Holly took a step forward, kneeled and asked, "Lord Orion. Might I ask who the new Elites are?" 

Avalanche's ears flick up, to catch every word that they said. "One of my sons and the newest member of the Cortezes. Snowfall Cortez," his father said slowly. Avalanche slipped on a small ice patch and glided down the slope of the pile. Holly jumped back as he slid past her, and into the stairs. He quickly got up and bowed his head in shame. Colden coughed to hide a laugh, which earned him a disapproving look from Lord Orion. Orion turned his gaze towards his son, "Avalanche, you aren't allowed in here when I am meeting with the messengers. What do you think you could learn from any of this?" he asked, straightening his posture, which made him look much larger than what he was. Avalanche hung his head in shame, "I'm sorry, father. I just wanted to know what was going on."