You Know It's Me

The next morning, Mae wakes up and looks down at the foot of the bed and smiles wide at Dean's jacket covering her feet. She leans down and fiddles with the collar for a few moments before she gathers it to herself.

Taking a deep breath in, she sighs. "Ugh, he smells so good."

Setting it back down on the bed, she wonders. How am I going to give this back? Pushing that thought aside, she quickly gets ready for the day. She pauses at the door to double check that she has everything that she needs, finding all in order she reaches for the handle when her stomach starts to fill with excited butterflies. She puts a hand on her middle and takes a deep breath to calm her nerves. Let's do this!

Smiling, she pulls the door open and turns towards the boys' room, only to see Sam leaning against the wall, waiting for her a few feet away. He looks over and stands, greeting her with a smile.

"Hey, where's...?" She starts but is cut off by the sound of Sam's phone.

Putting a finger up, he looks at her apologetically before opening his message. "So, it looks like Dean left early to get a head start on things, he says to meet him at Mike's Diner in town for breakfast."

"Ok, sounds good."

He detects a note of disappointment in her voice. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, just... thought Dean would be here too."

"Guess he was just really hungry." Sam offers. Wonder why he left her this morning, I know he's the love em and leave em type but with her things seemed different.

Shrugging it off, she smiles at Sam. "Let's get going then."

***

Sam and Mae walk the few streets that it takes to get to the diner, and they find Dean leaning up against the Impala. Making their way to him, Mae suddenly stops mere feet from him and throws her hand out to stop Sam. Staring at Dean her eyes go wide and then narrow, as she scowls at him.

"What, sad I didn't stay the night, Sweetheart?" Dean asks, looking her up and down.

Sam's brows go up. "You mean he wasn't with you last night?"

"No, he wasn't but..." She starts.

"If he wasn't with you or me, then where was he all night?" Sam asks, looking between her and his brother.

"I don't know where HE was." She says, pointing over at Dean. "But Dean is somewhere nearby in the sewers, that is a shifter, Sam!"

"What are you talking about?" Dean pipes up. "I'm not a shifter but I think I have a lead on one."

"Sure 'Dean'." Sarcasm laces her voice. "Then how about you hold this silver knife to prove you aren't a shifter?"

"C'mon Sam, you know it's me. Do we really have to do this?"

Sam pauses to think for a few seconds. "Well, if you truly are Dean, then you would have no problem taking the knife."

With this Dean turns tail and runs, he heads to an alley behind the diner. Sam and Mae look to each other in confirmation.

"Not Dean, I'm guessing." Sam quips.

"No, I'll go after the look-a-like, you go find the original."

Before turning to leave, Sam pauses. "You sure you got this?"

Tightening her hold on the silver knife, she nods. "Yep, I'm good."

"Ok, I'll go find Dean and meet you back here."

She nods once more and rushes off to the alley hoping the duplicate Dean hadn't gotten too far ahead. When she gets there, the alley is empty, she looks up and down it, wondering what way he might have went. She takes a few steps forward and stops, her head turns to the left and she smiles.

"Might as well come out now because I know where you are." She pauses and smiles again.

"No, I will not just go away." She replies.

Shaking her head, she says. "No, you did not say that out loud." She chuckles. "Or that."

"Really this would be easier and less confusing for you if you just come talk to me face to face." She says, standing directly in front of where he is hiding.

He steps out from behind the dumpster with his hands raised. "Ok, you found me, but what was all that stuff about?"

"Wow, you are still wearing your Dean suit, I didn't expect that."

Folding his arms, he shrugs. "There wasn't much time to shed it."
"You are really going to make me fight you while wearing his face, aren't you?"

"Fight? You said talk." He chides.

"Funny, but you know how this is going to end."

"Yeah, I've gone through some of his memories and I know he and his brother are hunters but you are new and mysterious."

She smirks. "That's a nice description."

"He has a lot of thoughts about you, rattling around in here. What I'd like to know is, what are you doing to him? You make him feel like he has to be with you or else he can't breathe."

Grinning broadly, she lowers her blade a little. "Aww, I know exactly how he feels because that's how I feel!"

"So... you didn't do anything to him?"

"No, why would I?"

"Because that's what he thinks."

"Yeah, I know he does but I honestly haven't."

Confusion clouds his eyes. "There that is again, how do you know that's what he thinks, when he hasn't told you?"

Her eyes go wide for a few seconds but then she purses her lips. "I'm not sure what you mean."

Almost as if a light bulb goes off in his head, he blurts out. "You can read minds! That's how you knew I wasn't Dean, how you knew where I was hiding, and what he thinks about you!"

"You also don't smell like him." She counters.

"What?"

"You may look like Dean and have his memories but you don't smell like him."

"You can smell the difference! How the...? What the...? Who are you?"

She tsks in annoyance. "Ok enough talk, time to fight."

Raising her blade once more, she swipes at the shifter but he dodges the blow by quickly jumping to the side. Readjusting her stance, she aims a strike at his chest, he counters her move and the knife glances off his hand. He cries out in pain as the effect of the silver sizzles his skin and he tucks his arm close to his body. This opportunity allows her to land another blow to his shoulder, which causes him to back up and stumble over some boxes on the ground. He lands on his back, holding his shoulder, she lunges forward but he uses his legs to launch her behind him. Tucking and rolling to a standing position, she is at the ready before he even gets to his knees.

Sam and Dean round the corner of the building, just in time to see Mae plunge the knife into the back of the imposter, as he stands up. She pulls the knife out of his heart and he falls to the pavement dead. The three of them stand there for a few moments staring at the body that still looks like Dean.