Alternate/Realistic Ending

Here's an alternate/realistic ending of this story, Game Over, that I wrote for a creative writing short story assignment for school. I wasn't actually going to post this, but I thought, "What the heck! Why not?" So here's a short story, (with some parts that are the same as the original story) Enjoy!! 

____________________________________________________________

"So," I looked up from the project I was working on and stared at Emma who was sitting across from me, "where's Josh?"

She glanced up from the mass of papers on the dining room table. "Hm?"

"Your brother. Where is he?"

"Why?" She arched an eyebrow. "So you can drool over him?"

My face turned a bright pink. "No. I'm just curious. He's usually here at this time."

Emma shrugged and looked back down at her paper. "I think he went out with his friends."

"Oh."

We immediately went back to work, trying to get the science project completed for the next day. Our teacher instructed us to create a model of an atom and gave us two weeks to get it completed and handed in. But like the teenagers we were, we decided to leave it till literally the last moment. So it took us some time to get it decent and presentable, causing it to be quite late walking home that evening: ten o'clock.

My parents usually drove me from Emma's, but they both unfortunately had to work late tonight, which meant I was supposed to walk across the park that separates my house and Emma's. The park is mostly open, with a few trees here and there. To the right of the park is all forest and to the left, quite away, is the only road that goes past the park.

I have walked through the park many times during the day, but it seemed so different at night - very dark, almost scary. The clouds overhead loomed over me as I walked straight ahead with my head down, and pulled my grey hoodie closer around my body, blocking the cold from reaching me.

I walked barely a quarter of the way across the park when I first noticed the figure approximately twenty-five yards behind me, following me. I didn't think anything of it at first. Many people go this way to get around, but after a few more yards, I started to pick up my pace.

As I expected, the person behind me started walking faster just as I had. A few more steps went by before I started jogging. I then looked over my shoulder once again to see that they started jogging as well.

I had three choices: I could run to the right and into the forest; go to the left and to the road; or I could keep going straight ahead. Before I even thought about anything, my body turned to the right, and I sprinted towards the forest. Right when I reached the edge of the woods, I realised I made the biggest mistake ever.

I didn't even look behind me as I ran. I could just hear them gaining on me. I dropped my bag hoping that they only wanted what was inside, and that they would let me go. I was wrong.

My bag did seem to slow them down slightly, but they were continuing to come after me. I still didn't bother looking back. I just kept running, left and right, dodging trees, hopping over roots and branches. My shoulder-length brown hair got tangled through reaching branches as I tried slapping them out of my way, to escape my attacker.

I could hear he was right behind, not even five yards away.

My lungs were exploding out of my chest, begging me for a break, and my legs were just as sore and tired. No matter how long I was going to run for, I wasn't going to be able to outrun them. I was going to have to put up a fight.