Chapter Twenty-four

at this point i just enjoy tormenting Uri  

everything that can go wrong goes wrong for her but writing it just feels so right

Chapter Twenty-four

I found Virtus unfortunately conversing with Chelsea's father. Mr. Scott is talking about something, while Virtus's expression is concrete. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was absolutely miserable.

I hope he doesn't take it out on me.

I walk over to them, and Virtus sees me immediately. His eyes fall from my face to my neck, where my tie hung loosely around my shoulders. I attempted to tie it, but it clearly didn't work.

His eyes narrow, as if he's wondering why my tie got to the state it was in, and I didn't have guts to ask him to tie it, especially when Mr. Scott was here.

"Ah yes, the intern!" Mr. Scott grins at me, "What's your name? Ollie?"

"Uri." I correct him, and he places his hand on my shoulder, 

"Right, right, Uri." He gives a small laugh, "I hope my new son-in-law has been treating you well?"

"Very well sir." I respond, though I wouldn't call that the complete truth. I didn't fail to notice how possessive her worded his statement. As if he were the authority to punish Virtus when he does wrong. Does he really think, by marrying off his daughter to the Bone Cutter, he would have complete control over him?

I don't think Virtus missed it either.

"Good! I do hope to see more of you, Uri. I quite like your look." 

I fake a smile, "Thank you, sir."

"Excuse us." Virtus interrupts, "There is something we must attend to." Virtus gives Mr. Scott no time to dismiss us, as he walks away, and I quickly follow him. 

We move past several guests, all of them wearing very expensive clothing, and grinning ear to ear when Virtus passes them.

Then, he moves behind a large decorative statue, several large pots of tall plants surrounded it, giving us a bit of privacy from the rest of the guests.

"Where the hell were you?" He hisses, grabbing my tie, and tying it without me even asking. 

"It's a long story." I admit, "I couldn't find you."

"Do I want to know why you look like you've been crying?" 

I blink several times, and try to sound offended, "I have not." Lie.

He didn't believe me, "Your eyes are red, intern."

Intern. "My name is Uri." The words slip out of my mouth so fast I couldn't catch them. There is no reason as to why he shouldn't refer to me by my work status, and yet, after last night, it just felt wrong.

He stares at me, and I see him calculating the meaning of what I just said.

I suddenly wished the world around me would vanish, and I'd cease to exist.

Something changes in his expression, but I couldn't make it out. He's been staring at me all day like a hunter ready to kill for sport. It had scared me enough to be half-convinced he hates me again.

The hatred was still there. I could see it in his eyes. "Do you really think you are special? I'll call you whatever I want to call you." 

His words don't hurt me, because I can only perceive them as a lie. 

Yes, in someway, somehow, I am special. From the way he acted last night, I'm certain I'm the only intern he's ever kissed.

Chelsea's words echo in my head. "She's a special toy, for special boys."