Ch 1

Tapping echoed throughout the walls of the dark room, the only light coming from a monitor in the corner of the room. Posters were scattered about on the walls, along with shelves that held personal belongings important to the one who takes residence within.

 Typing away, a young adult sits at a desk, eyes glued to the screen as their nimble fingers dance along the keys. Their eyes narrow, doing quick glances to see if they made any mistakes before continuing their lines of code. They needed this done within the hour, before anyone within their household were awake to pry them away from their devices.

A friend had asked them on Deskord to fix some coding on a game they were making, as they couldn't find anything wrong with it. In reality, it was a mess. They had to start it all from scratch. At least they knew what they were going for...

 Typing the last bit of code, they took a deep breath, stretching their limbs before sitting back up and checking to make sure the code worked properly.

Loading up the game application, they sighed in relief when the game loaded up correctly, no longer in the mess it was in before. How did their friend mess this up? They had no idea, but at least it's fixed now.

After some extra testing, they decided to send it to their friend by email, along with some tips as to how to keep things from getting messed up again. Ironic that their friend was in college taking a course to learn how to program games but completely messed it up in just a matter of seconds. Maybe their teacher wasn't the greatest...

 A yelp escaped their lungs as their door was suddenly slammed open, light from the hallway beaming its way inside, causing the programmer to hiss and shrink into their chair.

"Y/N!" their sister yelled, an irritated expression painting their face. Probably didn't come up on their own accord. "Get your lazy ass up and get ready!"

Y/n groaned and rubbed their face, turning their chair to face their annoying sibling. "Why?"

"We're going to a party, duh!" They shook her head and left the room, muttering under their breath.

 They grumbled in return, cursing under their breath as they rub their eyes, not noticing their mother slipping in and taking in the dark interior before flipping the light switch on, causing Y/n to groan even more.

"Y/n, you'll ruin your eyes if you don't have another light on," their mother sighed, disappointed.

"It helps me stay focused," Y/n retaliated. Their mother shot them a look before shaking her head. "Please get ready, we've been invited to a birthday party. Remember Ryan?"

"The bitch's crime partner?" Y/n's eyebrow furrowed, looking at their mother.

"Y/N! Don't call your sister that!" She sighs and runs a hand through her hair. "But yes, her friend. He's having a birthday and we were invited."

"And why should I go? Last I checked, we don't care for each other."

"Because you need to get out of this house." Their mother crossed her arms, standing firm. "And if you don't want your computer taken away, I suggest you comply."

"Mom, I'm in my 20's", Y/n sighed.

"And you're under my roof, rent free. My house, my rules."

Y/n sighed again, rubbing their face as they leaned back in their chair, glancing around a bit. "Can I bring my laptop?"

"Deal."

"Yes!" Y/n immediately gets up and goes downstairs, their mother shaking their head with a tired chuckle.