Three

"I'll be home in time for dinner," Peeta informed while shrugging on his suit jacket.

"I'll cook tonight," she offered, "Is lamb stew okay?"

"Sounds wonderful," he grins, "Love you."

She kissed him before he traveled to work. "Love you too."
----

*FLASHBACK*

"Finn," Peeta beckoned his dorm roommate from the other end of the pool table. The bronze-haired District 4 swimmer set down his stick and crossed over to him.

"Hm?"

"Who is that?" He pointed to a dark-haired, olive-skinned girl who was holding a red Solo cup in her hand. She was wearing an extremely short black party dress, talking to a dark-haired boy. They looked like they could be siblings.

"That magnificent creature," Finnick explains, "Is Katniss Everdeen."

"You like her?" Peeta raises his eyebrows in surprise.

"She's hot, I'll give her that," He replies, shrugging one shoulder, "But I couldn't date her even if I tried. She's a tough nut to crack."

"What do you mean?"

"Just...." he trails off, "From what I've heard from her cousin, Hawthorne, over there," he pointed to the tall guy she was talking to, "She's had a tough life."

"Like what?" Peeta asked.

"Gale said her father died when she was really young. Nine, I think. He died from lung cancer. And her mother just delivered a baby two years earlier," he says, "Katniss had to take care of her baby sister virtually herself because her mom just shut down."

"Wow." Peeta's speechless. Finnick nods silently.
**

Katniss just arrived at the exciting party in the only frat house near campus. Word on the street was that everyone was going to be here tonight.

She made sure to call her closest friend, Annie Cresta, to come over to her tiny dorm and be her personal makeup artist for the evening, since beauty was her major.

Her shy bestie had gone all out, giving Katniss a powerful but subtle smokey eye with winged eyeliner and a red lip.

They traveled to the event in Katniss's SUV and stepped out to view the large house.

"Damn," Katniss shakes her head, staring at the huge line of cars and motorcycles parked up the street. "Jo was right. Everyone's here."

"Speaking of Johanna," Annie pipes up, texting a reply rapidly into her phone, "She should be here in about ten minutes."

"Okay then," Katniss responds while they both walk over to the double-door entrance, "Let's go."

Once they enter the room, the smell of alcohol floods into their nostrils.

"Have you had a beer before?" Annie has to shout her question because of the loud rock music that almost shakes the entire building.

"Of course," she smiles, striding confidently over to the fridge, opening it to find a Budweiser. She takes a gulp and soon winces at the burning sensation in the back of her throat.

Annie nods contently, sipping her own beer.

A head of bright blonde curls from across the room catches Katniss's eye. "Who's that?"

----
a/n: i'll continue the flashback next chapter heheh

how is it?😋