LVII. Adieu

I found myself back in the glorious ballroom

I recognized the large sconces that lined the walls, and the awe inspiring chandelier above me.

Unlike before, I was the only person in the room.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and smiled; it was Alec. I was absolutely stunned by his alluring beauty. My heart swelled; it felt like ages since the last time we'd crossed paths.

I parted my lips to speak, but Alec gently pulled me into his arms and kissed me, slow and passionately. Tears silently rolled down my cheeks as music began to play; the same indescribably beautiful piece from before.

"Violet," he sighed as he pulled his face away from mine. He gazed down at me lovingly, his eyes brimming with deep affection.

I was speechless. Breathless.

I missed him desperately.

I would never let him go again. I simply couldn't bear it.

I studied his face in wonder, drinking in his features. I never wanted to forget; the soft shape of his lips, the deep, rich crimson of his eyes, the subtle gold in his brunette hair.

The warmth in my heart seeped through my chest and glided upward, welling in my throat. The heat began to escalate, until it had become uncomfortable. I threw my hands up and cupped my neck in distress. I looked up at Alec; he looked back with curious amusement.

I looked down at my lovely gown and was appalled to find that it was covered in blood. I pressed my hands against my throat more tightly and felt my fingers slip into a depression in the skin. It felt unnaturally hot and wet.

I pulled my hands away from my neck, discovering that they were coated in blood.

My blood.

Petrified, I looked back up at Alec as blood poured out of the gaping wound in my neck, but he wouldn't move to help. Gasping for breath, I stumbled backward and collapsed before fading to black.

I shuddered back to consciousness in a sterile, brightly lit room. I ached all over and I was constricted by an assortment of tubes and wires. I moaned and groggily attempted to swat them away. Before I could inflict any damage, however, a nurse hurried into the room to stop me.

"Where am I?" I asked with deep concern.

"You're in the hospital," the nurse said soothingly.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Sit tight. Dr. Cullen will be in here to speak to you momentarily," she instructed me.

I narrowed my eyes, but Carlisle entered the room before I could protest.

"Thank you, Sophia," Carlisle smiled at the nurse.

"No problem," she said, blushing, before scurrying out of the room.