chapter eighty-three

following on from:
season two ; episode ten { Coastal Venture }

HUMID SUMMER DAYS SEEMED TO MELT INTO EVEN MORE HUMID SUMMER NIGHTS WITH AIR SO THICK IT PRESSED UPON ONES SKIN

HUMID SUMMER DAYS SEEMED TO MELT INTO EVEN MORE HUMID SUMMER NIGHTS WITH AIR SO THICK IT PRESSED UPON ONES SKIN. Hundreds of fireflies all aglow lifted off the dewy grasses and tiny shoots of corn flying so slowly it seemed they struggled against the weight of moisture hanging heavily in the night air. Brooklyn would sit wide awake, head against a tree, with a arm resting around her waist. She would stay awake and listen to the calm sounds of the waves hitting the terrain, the rocks and it was a beautiful sound. The waves would chorus one another and it created a calming sound that Brooklyn could almost fall asleep... But not calming enough.

There was a sweet slightly pungent smell of the air surrounding her family's land combined with the cold wet air lifting off the water. Bugs loved this island and Brooklyn would watch them as they barrelled through the heavy night air crashing against the island, being drawn to the light of the fire that was slowly starting to burn out. Until she pondered these thoughts and recalled these memories she didn't realize how she missed those evenings of moist thickness hanging in the night air of Outer Banks... Her home.

Her entire body was sore, aching from the bullet wound on her arm that only happened days ago. Now, some cry out in pain, others show no response at all, and this is why empathy is so vital, to allow ourselves to feel what others are feeling rather than opting for shallow sympathies. And it is these moments that build and define who we are, that bring the sculpture of our future self from the clay of our youth. Brooklyn was someone who would sit in silence while her body twinged, ached, cried and begged for response but she gave nothing at all.

She sits, body against a tree, a head in her lap and a arm around her waist while she takes deep, slow breathes. Instead of crying and shaking JJ awake she stays motionless and in pain. All she wants is to cry, to actually feel the pain and live it but her body has become immune to it, become immune to feeling anything but pure bliss.

Her hands fall into JJ's hair, stroking and feeling at the softness that is his hair. His blonde locks sprawled out across her lap and covering his eyes... A beautiful sight. The moonlight reflects off his skin, hitting every feature, every indent and curve of his face. His lips look almost too good not to kiss but Brooklyn's body is too limp and too weak to reach down and peck them.

How would JJ feel if Brooklyn really told him about the pain she was feeling? She didn't want to worry him nor did she want to go on and on about her pain when there was really nothing any of them could do. Instead, she will suffer in silence while her husband—still feels weird to say those words— sleeps.

She lets out a sigh, hoping her eyes would shut when a yawn leaves her lips but instead she has them glued to the water, watching the waves hit the rocks. "Beautiful, right?" She hears a voice besides her which almost scares her into screaming.

She turns to see Pope standing above her. She can't help but smile because, just like JJ, he looks beautiful in the moonlight. "Yeah," Brooklyn hums. Pope's hand is raised out in front of Brooklyn and even though she may wake JJ up, she chooses to take his hand and pull herself up, wincing as she does so because a shock is sent through her arm and then her entire body. Pope shoots her an apology, knowing he grabbed the wrong hand.