━━ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘤𝘩'𝘴 𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘢

𝐁𝐎𝐊 𝐈, 𝐊𝐀𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐋 𝐈𝐕

the witch's aria

IT IS YOUR DESTINY to protect him, his future queen, their two daughters after them and the futures they will create

After the night of surprises he endured, it was a miracle that Merlin Wyllt had gotten even a wink of sleep. He thought his mind to be a storm many times in the past, but nothing before compared to everything he felt now that all had been revealed. The dark oblivion he'd been trapped within for years had finally come to light, but now that he knew what existed beyond those shadows, he felt every desire to return.

For far longer than he could remember, Merlin wondered what in his purpose in this life wad, and more importantly, why magic had chosen him as a host from infancy. He prayed to every god, wished upon every star for answers, but of all the reasons he devised... he never imagined this. The idea of being gifted with such power solely to aid a boorish prince and his currently nonexistent family for the rest of his days felt like a joke.

That couldn't possibly be his destiny, could it?

How cruel that would be.

Though such a feat seemed more than impossible, Merlin chose to abandon the troubling thoughts for the time being and focus on the task at hand; after chastising him about the messy state of his chambers, Gaius instructed him to take a sleeping draft to the Lady Morgana le Fay, a young woman who suffered terribly from nightmares. It was a diagnosis he was more than familiar with. He'd lived one in real time just hours ago.

Taking care in recalling the directions to the proper chambers, he was relieved to have found it without any trouble, unlike every other corner of the mammoth city without the guidance of either Aurora or Gaius. He ducked through the threshold more than prepared to announce his arrival, but beauty stunned into silence for the umpteenth time since arriving in Camelot. Never before had he seen so many alluring women in one place; their radiance made him believe every one of them was born from starlight and magic.

It was obvious Morgana hadn't seen just who entered as she made her way behind the dressing screen across the room, but she knew someone was there. "I've been thinking about Arthur. I wouldn't touch him with a lance pole. Pass me that dress, will you, Gwen?"