Chapter Eight

Margaret was determined to enjoy her brief time in London. The afternoon was spent in the company of Edith, who insisted on taking her to the dressmaker who made her own wedding gown. Margaret wished to order her dress in Milton, though she admitted the dresses in London were the very latest style and rather beautiful. Edith twittered in her ear constantly about how the wedding should be planned. By the time they neared Harley Street, Margaret was quite exhausted by talk of flowers and organ music. It had never mattered to her, and it did not matter now. She was looking forward to her wedding, of course, but she hoped it would not become larger than she wished for.

Margaret had never had extravagant tastes; she did not share Fanny and Edith's joint desire for new clothes and beautiful objects. She merely wished to marry John, and as she had said to Henry all those years ago, her favourite dress would be just fine.

"You have to have something new!" Edith told her as they walked down the street arm in arm. "If you get married in plain everyday clothes, everyone will think you are poor!"

What a travesty that would be!

"It just seems to be such an awful lot of money for something I will only wear once. It could be spent much more wisely."

Margaret thought, as she often did, of the people in Princeton. Even when there was work to be had, things were unimaginably difficult for those who lived there. Some families barely had enough to eat even in the best of times, never mind enough to waste on new clothes. It filled her with shame to see how much the rich society in London had compared to the people living in crowded, dirty homes back in Milton.

"Oh, Migs! How boring you sound."

"Sensible, not boring." Margaret corrected her. Edith did not know much about poverty, and she meant well. Margaret tried to join in her high spirits. "I did rather like that last design she showed us. The embroidery on the skirt was very detailed."

"You would look beautiful in it. What are the dressmakers like in Milton?" Edith asked, as though Milton would not have fine workmanship - a slightly ridiculous thought, considering that most of the country's fabric came from the place.

"They are very good, I think. We never had much spare for new clothes and I had no real need for any. Fanny Thornton always looked well appointed."

"That monstrosity you were in earlier says otherwise!"

"I think that says more about Fanny's personal taste than the skill of the maker." Margaret said with a small smile, relieved to be out of Fanny's clothes and back in her more sensible skirts.

"Well, if you wish to have a new dress, and you must wish it! You shall need to act quickly. It is already mid May, two months is hardly any time at all for such a fine dress to be made."

"Two months is plenty of time, I can assure you! Really, Edith, you are behaving as if I wish to get married tomorrow. I will go to the dressmaker when I am home."

"So Milton is home now?" Edith asked with a grin.

"Yes. It is home." Margaret said with a small smile. "I shall have something simple though. I do not think it right to waste so much money when there are better things one could do with it."

"You're sounding more and more like a hard Northerner every day, cousin." Edith smiled. "I do not believe I have ever seen you so happy. Your eyes are shining with glee. I am glad of it."

"Thank you. I was so worried what you would make of it all, Edith. I cannot tell you how relieved I am that you are not cross with me. I fear my actions have upset several people; I could not stand to add you to the list."