Chapter Six: Marie

"Your father said you received some rather exciting news yesterday morning," my mother said as she brushed through my hair the following evening. We hadn't spoken since I learned of my engagement; she had retired early last night after a few too many glasses of red wine, leaving me alone with Andrea and my father, and she had been busy all morning and afternoon preparing the house for my father's departure.

I tried not to shudder at the memory; how entirely awkward it was while Andrea rambled on and on about the wedding, while my father sat there with every muscle in his body tense, as if he could not wait to get away from both of us. But mother had been the one to escape, leaving father no other option than to see our dinner through.

"I did," I answered, not meeting her gaze in the mirror. "Now I know why you spoke of Lord Xavier so highly."

"Your father and I only want what is best for you, ma fleur. And Xavier is kind, handsome, and very astute. He is the best match we could have ever found for you."

My stomach churned, but I smiled for her benefit. "I am very grateful, mother. Please do not think otherwise."

She tugged gently on the hair she held, and I met her steady blue eyes in the mirror. "So it was the other news you received that had you sobbing in the hedge maze for hours yesterday?"

I grimaced, and she narrowed her eyes at me. Of course Andrea had told her; my sister was my best friend in the entire world and I loved her very dearly, but she could not keep a secret if her life depended on it.

"Do not make that face," mother chided, and I reflexively smoothed out my expression. She returned to brushing my hair. "And do not be angry with your sister. She worries for you, and she doesn't understand just why you were so upset yesterday. To her knowledge, all you've been wanting is to find the perfect husband."

"I know," I sighed. "I just...I guess the longer I went without an engagement, the more I believed that perhaps I could continue doing what I've been doing."

Mother's eyes softened, and she set down the brush. Her deft hands continued working, tying my long black hair into a braid. "I always believed it was a mistake. That your father was being foolish in allowing you to fight those monsters. Especially knowing that he would have to take it away from you one day..." she sighed, shaking her head slightly. A single auburn curl fell into her face, but she didn't seem to notice it. "Regardless of what the people would think, should they learn we allowed this behavior, it is the threat you face every time you leave this manor that terrifies me most. Your life is precious, Marie. Yet what we ask of you..." she shook her head again. "It isn't right."

My eyes sought out hers in the mirror; her hands stilled when our gazes connected, and I said, "You and I both know I would have found my way into the training ring one way or another."

She blinked a few times, appearing dazed for a moment before she picked up the braid once more. "Sometimes I wish you never would have had to face what you did."

I knew what she spoke of, and my heart skipped a beat in my chest at the realization that she was willing to speak of it. If even for a moment.

"What that monster did was not your fault," I said. "You couldn't have known what it was; not then, not before father began his crusade."

But then again, father had only begun his crusade because of what happened seventeen years ago. I could still recall that night like it was yesterday: the absolute terror I'd felt when I was snatched from our summer home in the dead of night; the scent of rot and decay as the man who stole me carried me into the woods; the feeling of flesh tearing as he bit into my wrist. Father had found us, and though he'd never been much of a fighter before then, somehow managed to kill the beast that had taken me.

It wasn't until years later, one night after mother had drunk too much and no one else was around, that she revealed the Second had compelled her to open the door to him that night. That she had met the vampire at the market that morning, and he had seen me with her and decided to steal me away. I had been only six then; far too young to realize what was happening.

My thumb rubbed unconsciously over the spot on my wrist the Second had bitten. I bore no scar there, miraculously, but I would always know exactly where his fangs had torn into my skin.

Mother hadn't known to look for the signs. She wouldn't have recognized what it felt like to be compelled, and certainly wouldn't have realized what the ring of silver around his pupils was. But I knew she carried the guilt and shame of that night ever since; she hardly left the manor for five years after, and eventually, stopped leaving the property entirely. Now, she only went outside to sit by her petunias.

Her eyes glossed over, and she took a deep breath, steeling herself. "No, of course not." She finished the braid, quickly tying a leather strap around the end and securing it with a bow. I stood, looking down at the dress I would wear outside. This one was grey, with red roses embroidered into the skirts. It was beautiful, in its simplicity.

I would wear this dress outside as my father guided me into the carriage, where I would climb in and change into the tunic and breeches he'd stored there earlier today. Then I would hide the dress under the seat, pull on my black cloak, and wait until we arrived in the part of the lower city where I would begin my hunt.

My stomach fluttered as I realized this would be my last hunt until father returned; and possibly my last hunt ever, if he truly intended for me to give up this part of my life forever. As sad as it was, I still carried hope that he might allow me to continue up until the wedding, but I knew better.

"I know why you have to do this," mother said, bringing my attention back to her. "I know you feel driven to protect the people of Emery. But do not forget that your life is far more precious than you realize; you are ma fleur, my flower, and you deserve to live a long, happy life. Protect yourself as fiercely as you protect the people."

I nodded, my heart hammering against its cage at her speech. It was nearly identical to the one she'd given me the last five years, since I was first allowed to begin the hunt. But this one was different, somehow. It felt heavy as her words settled on my shoulders.

Mother guided me out of my bedroom, into the hall where my father waited. She pressed a kiss to my cheek before continuing on, out of the corridor and into the halls that led to her and my father's bedroom. We turned the opposite way, heading towards the stairs that lead to the main foyer of the house.

Father and I walked in silence until we reached the carriage, where he pulled the door open and waited for me to climb inside. As I settled, he said, "Your target tonight is a Second who was turned a little over a year ago. According to witness reports, he has killed his neighbor's son, as well as the family cat. There were also a few dead beggars found near his neighborhood, and my spies believe their deaths were caused by the Second, though no one truly witnessed their deaths."

I nodded. This information had been written in the card he'd delivered to my room this morning, but he always made sure to brief me before we left the manor.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

"Always," I answered.

His mouth tightened, just a fraction in the corner, but he said nothing else as he shut the door and climbed onto the bench. We began moving shortly after that, and once I ensured the curtains on the windows of the carriage were closed tight, I began to change.