|| f o u r

Merlin sipped his water quietly, sitting in the tent with red-rimmed eyes.

"You have left King Arthur, you say?" asked the Druid leader, Milcah, sitting in front of him. Giving a nervous nod, Merlin took another sip.

"He no longer needs me," Merlin explained, his heart panging in his chest. Milcah swept back her golden brown hair and laughed.

"I have seen the way he looks at you, young one. The way he puts himself in front of you to protect you, how he glances at you every few seconds to make sure you're safe," Micah recounted. "Despite what you may think, Emrys, he very much does need you."

"I-I just, I'm tired of all this! Tired of not being appreciated or thanked!" Merlin pouted. "I know I sound childish and unreasonable, but I cannot endure this awfulness anymore. I don't want to live like this for my whole life."

"And you won't," Milcah soothed. Eyes wide and sympathetic, she leaned forward and rested her palm on Merlin's cheek.

Warrior hands, Merlin thought as he instinctively leant into her rough and scratchy hand, revelling at the warmth.

"You are very welcome to stay with us until you sort out your, uh, dispute with the King, you are our brethren after all," the wise woman offered.

Merlin grinned thankfully and wiped away the remaining tears on his face. "Thank you. That would mean a lot!"

"I will go get a tent prepared for you," Milcah rose and promptly left the tent, leaving Merlin alone with his tankard of water.

***

A few days had passed since Merlin had resigned from his position, and he was casually collecting herbs for food when he heard a yell from one of the tents.

He sprinted towards the noise of distress and his heart halted in his chest when he saw Arthur and his knights storming into the village with their horses, eyes alert and searching.

SHIT.

Milcah advanced towards them with an air of confidence that Merlin could only dream to have. Eyes rough and sleep-deprived, Arthur looked down on her and growled three words:

"Where is he?"

"If you're talking about Emrys, I am afraid I cannot help you-"

"NOT Emrys, you idiotic hag! I'm talking about Merlin! You're hiding him here and you better give him up now!" Arthur growled. Merlin hid behind a tent, shocked at his King. He had never heard Arthur speak in such a manner towards someone so kind and gentle before. Milcah sighed heavily.

"I'm not hiding the young one," Milcah lied. 

"Lies, sire!" Elyan said, eyes gleaming with anger. "I was on patrol the night Merlin left, and he ran towards the direction of this very village!"

"You will give him up now," the King repeated, voice dangerously. "Or I will raze down this village."

Anger flared inside the sorcerer. There was no way he would allow these brainless idiots to destroy a village that had been nothing but kind and accepting. He stepped out from behind the tent and glared at Arthur in disgust. Blue eyes widened.

"Who are you?" he asked.

Arthur got off his horse and quickly hurried over to Merlin. "Merlin, thank God you're alright!"

"WHO ARE YOU?" Merlin yelled, tears slipping down his cheeks as his brows furrowed in confusion.

"Have you- have you hit your heard or something?" Arthur said, laughing a little nervously. "It's me, Arthur. Your friend."

"You are no friend of mine!" Merlin sniffled. "And you are not Arthur. Arthur would never treat innocent people like this. Terrorising villages and threatening kind and good people. You are not the King I thought you were."

Arthur had the decency to look ashamed. "Try to understand, Merlin, my best friend had been taken away-"

"Taken away?" Merlin laughed derisively. "You drove me away!"

Arthur was silent.

"You will apologise to the people of this village and leave. Now," Merlin ordered. Arthur could've sworn he saw a gold gleam in his former friend's eyes.

"Merlin-" Arthur sucked in a breath, realisation blooming in his chest.

"NOW!" Merlin said, eyes flashing gold, knocking Arthur back several feet.

"Emrys, please-" a druid cried from the side.

"WHAT?!" Arthur shrieked from the floor. The sorcerer went pale.

Lancelot groaned from where he sat on his horse. "Oh for the love of all that's holy~"

Groaning, Arthur rose to a standing position with hurt and anger plain on his face. "Wait, not only are you a sorcerer but you ARE Emrys? YOU LITTLE SHIT!"

And Merlin ran. Again.

***

woah

#editingisfortheweak

just kidding i'll do it soon ;)