REHAB (Completed!)

I don't know why, nobody told you,

how to unfold your love.

- George Harrison

The Favor

I haven't seen my brother Marcus in years but he needs a favor, so of course he called. He didn't provide any details, just that he needs a ride to Cleveland, Ohio and for me to watch his car for a few weeks. Marcus is my identical twin, down to a tribal band tattoo we got on spring break in college. Even our initials are identical thanks to our mother's naming us 'Michael Robert Thomas' and 'Marcus Robert Thomas'. Growing up, our parents could never tell us apart and many times we'd trade places even through college.

We both graduated from University of Michigan with a degree in marketing but I took a minor in finance. After graduating, he craved the big city, high pay lure of Chicago while I stayed in Ann Arbor working for a trendy web marketing company. We haven't been close since graduating from college.

Personality wise, let's just say Marcus is the charming, outgoing twin and I'm more of a wall flower. In high school and college he was always getting the girl, or guy and sharing with me. He'd do all the work and I was happy with sloppy seconds. Many times we dated the same person without them knowing—that's how identical we are. Nowadays, we talk occasionally and on our birthday. He's got his life, I've got mine, and I keep up with his via his very active Instagram and Twitter accounts. I've got enough 'marketing' in my life so I'm more of an online stalker, never posting anything.

According to his Instagram, he just got promoted vice president at Coleman Marketing—a very prestigious firm in downtown Chicago. Someone tagged him in videos from last night celebrating his promotion. He's raking in the money while I just got laid off. Not that I'm worried as I got a nice severance package and have a few leads on jobs. I was head of a marketing department for an automotive trim manufacturer. Truthfully, I was the marketing department completely.

Marcus pulls up to my house just after 7 am looking exhausted getting out of his BMW. It looks like he's dressed in what he had on last night. He's wearing a great black leather jacket. His hair is gelled and spiky, and he's clean shaven. I've let myself go lately, not shaving in days and no haircut in weeks. I'll worry about a haircut and shave when I get a job interview. I greet him on the stoop.

"Marcus, when the hell did you leave Chicago? I was expecting you at lunch. Since when do you get up before noon?" I mock him.

"I was on a high, celebrating my promotion and couldn't get Chad, my boyfriend, to come home with me. So I didn't sleep, packed up my things, jumped in the car and drove right here. Got coffee?"

"Sure, plenty, help yourself. You look beat bro."

"You look like a bum bro, what's with the scruff and hair?" He angrily fires back.

"Using up some vacation time here, getting things done around the house. Love the BMW bro, awesome machine." I cover for my job loss and change topic.

Marcus walks in, heads straight to the Keurig and makes himself at home. "I just drove 4 hours straight without stopping. You're driving the rest of the way."

"Nice, I love BMWs. So what in the hell is in Cleveland, Ohio? Nothing that I know of."

"I've been court ordered to check into St. Joseph Rehab Center."

"Jesus, what the fuck did you do?" I act shocked but I'm not.

"I had an accident, totaled my car and someone else's, there was alcohol and drugs involved and it's my fourth offense."