Chapter Four

Music is "He's Here for Us" by Michael Giacchino.

A shadowy form stood near the end of the small room, its back turned to Eliza. It was garbed entirely in black, with spiral horns pointing toward her. The creature made no move toward her. It didn't seem to notice her arrival. In the darkened room, illuminated by a single candle, it seemed to Eliza that she could see through the monster's body...but no, her eyes were playing tricks on her.

She took another step closer and froze. At last, the monster turned to face her. Its face was more hideous than she imagined. Fangs jutted out from between its cracked and dry lips, and its face was covered in matted black fur. It wore a tattered black cloak that covered most of its body, but through the dim light, she noted its chest and arms were black as soot too. A ripped and shredded pair of pants covered its legs...barely, as if someone had forced them onto the monster, not caring if the monster was even meant to wear such things. But...she couldn't see its eyes, for a black ribbon was tied over them, blinding it...or so she thought.

Can it see me? Can I still run?

"Who...who are you and what are you doing here?" the creature spoke in a low voice. The voice was kind, but had a slight edge to it. It stirred, moved away from the barren fireplace, and faced Eliza. She did not expect such a voice to come from a creature who had murdered thousands.

Then again, the most unlikely of men are capable of such deeds.

She remained silent. If I keep quiet...

"I know you're there. I can still see through this blindfold."

Darn.

She sighed, relaxed her position, but crouched ever so slightly to retrieve her small throwing knife from her boot. "I've come to rescue my parents." That was true enough. This thing didn't need to know the rest. She tucked the knife inside her cloak, waiting for the right moment.

"And you are?"

"I...I'm Eliza."

"Just Eliza? No family name?"

She nodded her head.

"Well, Eliza, you need to get out of here. This place...is cursed. Who knows how long it will be until the next time I..." it paused, "Wait, did you say you came to rescue someone? Your parents?"

Eliza nodded again, wondering where on earth this conversation was going. What kind of monster is this? It's so scatterbrained...

It lowered its head and turned away to face the cold hearth at the end of the room. "What made you think you'd find anyone in this cursed place? No one who comes to this mansion survives. No one." It fell silent, with its back still turned to Eliza.

Her jaw fell open in shock. Was it all a lie? Did the king trick her into coming just to trap her and finish off one of the few remaining Manwarings?

No. No. They had to be here. Otherwise she was trapped with no way to escape back home to her niece. That was not a possibility.

"I...was told they were still alive in here," she said, sighing. It was a long shot, but she usually had success hitting the difficult targets. If providence willed it, she would find her parents.

The monster paused, cocking its head at her. "Who...who told you that? I can guarantee..."

"His Royal Highness Joshua Remus Severus II."

The monster froze. Although she could not see its eyes, Eliza had seen enough animals in the forest to recognize the signs...of fear. The frozen stature, the inward racing of the mind to find a way out, before finally regaining enough composure to back away from the source of terror just before her arrow...