Chapter 1: Many Introductions

Legend says two races once lived side by side: HUMANS and MONSTERS.

For millennia, they ruled the Earth and lived in harmony.

But that was before the GREAT CATACLYSM.

It is said that a golden bird with wings of fire appeared,

Darkening the skies for six days and nights.

A terrible war began as shadows marched

Until, in a heartbeat, the world burned red,

And when it was done, every human was gone from the world and from history.

All... except one.

This is the fate of a world

UNALTERED

Many years later...

East Old Town

Population 31.25

Legend says that in this little town, a single human remains.

(Y/N)... that is your name, correct? Don't be ashamed, it is a fine one. However, you require a different name for our purposes. (F/N) Dreemurr... that is you. It may not be your name, but it is the name which matters. It's probably best that you leave your true name behind for the time being. ...who am I? For now, you're asking the wrong question. All you need to know is that, in this world, no amount of DETERMINATION will avail you. But there are things which may. You know this already, for

YOU

ARE

"(F/N), time to get up!" called a gentle voice. You let out a great groan and stretch, and gave a terrible sigh as you rubbed your eyes. You often heard people talk of waking up feeling refreshed, but had yet to experience it firsthand; tired and groggy was your default state.

Your mom, Toriel, was already sitting at the kitchen table by the time you came down; you took your chair, by far the smallest, across from her. It had never been any secret that you were adopted - you were the only one in your family who wasn't a furry goatlike monster of impressive stature. It hadn't exactly taken you a long time as a child to look at family photos and figure out which one of these things is not like the others.

You were the only human known to exist, as well as the only physical evidence that humans had ever existed, which meant existing in a world of monsters occasionally presented unique challenges and unwanted attention.

Other than that, it wasn't really something you thought about much. You had been found as a newborn in the middle of a field one day, with absolutely no hint to be found of where you had come from, so there was really nothing known and nothing to be said regarding your origins, and Toriel, Asgore, and Asriel were the only mother, father, and brother you'd ever known since infancy, and you really couldn't ask for a better family.

"Has dad already gone to work?" You saw that his empty cereal bowl, big enough that you could easily wear it as a hat, was already sitting over in the sink. Toriel sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Yes, he was up at 5:30 this morning, which of course woke me up. I swear, that man makes enough noise for five people sometimes!"

You laughed and shook your head - you certainly couldn't argue. Asgore was a big guy, and whenever he'd just woken up, he tended to really shuffle his feet with big, clomping steps, the kind that made things shake and rattle.

"So have you been awake all this time, or did you get back to sleep for a bit?"

"No, he took long enough to find his good socks that by the time he was leaving, it wasn't long before I would've gotten up anyway. Haha, I suppose I'll have to take a nap during my lunch break!"