𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

AFTER THE MOVIE WAS OVER, IT BECAME KNOWN THAT MARCIA AND CHERRY DIDN'T HAVE A RIDE HOME.

Two-bit had offered to walk them home — they both lived on the west side, twenty miles away. It had taken some convincing, but Two-bit finally got them to let the boys and I walk them home. We had learned the girls weren't much different than them, except for the fact they thought the Beetles were out, and that Elvis was tuff, the greasers thought the opposite.

Ponyboy and Cherry had talked the whole time, same as Marcia and Two-bit. It was nice seeing My friends look so happy talking to someone. I and Johnny had walked side by side, silently. Johnny was the type of person that you didn't feel the need to talk to when together, the silence was perfectly fine for him.

While walking, this was probably the most I had seen Ponyboy talk since she met him. She'd only ever see him talk to Johnny or Sodapop about most things, but that was until he met Cherry Valance.

——————-

While still walking, Marcia suddenly gasped, "Cherry! Look what's coming!"

Everyone looked, and they all saw a blue mustang coming down the street. I watched as Johnny visibly tensed, he made a noise that came from the back of his throat, and he became deathly pale.

"Johnny, you okay?" I asked quietly.

"Mhm-" He replied, eyes still closed and his hands in tight fists that made his knuckles turn white.

"What are we going to do?" Marcia asked.

"Stand here," Cherry replied, "It isn't much else we can do."

"Who is it?" Two-bit asked, "The F.B.I?"

"No, It's Randy and Bob," Cherry said bleakly.

"And, a few socially elite checkered-shirt sets," Two-bit added grimly.

I looked at him with a 'not the time' look.

"Your boyfriends?" Johnny said suddenly, it was clear he was scared. From how close I and Ponyboy were standing next to him, he was trembling hard.

Cherry started to walk down the street, "Maybe they won't see us, act normal."

"Who's acting? I'm a natural normal." Two-but grinned.

I rolled my eyes.

"Wish it was the other way around." I heard Ponyboy mutter. I stifled a laugh, "Don't get mouthy Ponyboy." Two-bit said.

The mustang passed us slowly, Marcia sighed in relief, "That was close."

I watched Cherry turn back to Ponyboy, Marcia and Two-bit's conversation started up again, and I was watching Johnny closely. He still seemed a bit worked up over the whole car and all.

"Johnny, you sure you're okay?" I asked him, really trying to catch his gaze.

"Yes — I mean yes, I'm fine." His facial expressions softened, and he finally looked me in the eye.

"Okay, just making sure." I grinned at him.

"He likes Soda — everybody likes Soda — but he can't stand me." Everyone had heard Ponyboy say that, he was talking about Darry.

Johnny, Two-bit, and I were staring at Ponyboy now. "No..." Two-bit said dumbfounded. "No Ponyboy, that ain't right...you got it wrong..."

"Gee," Johnny said softly, "I thought you and Darry and Soda got along real well..."

"Well, we don't." Ponyboy snapped. I flinched, and Johnny's head snapped right to me.

Johnny said something and Ponyboy looked like he was getting mad, "An' you can shut your trap Johnny Cade, 'cause we all know you ain't wanted at home, either. And-"