Chapter 2

I grew up in New Orleans with both my parents, who both happened to be African-American

I grew up in New Orleans with both my parents, who both happened to be African-American. I'll admit, I didn't have a 100% good childhood, but my parents always made sure I was happy.

They made sure to cheer me up after getting hated for how my hair looked, for how my skin looked and honestly to how I'm a black woman. But they were always there for me.

Now I was on my own, I've been on my own for six years now, but I always Made sure to call them everyday to tell them I was okay, even tho some days I wasn't.

Before I could realise it the cab stopped hinting I had made it to the airport. I payed for the ride, thanked my driver and got out, grabbed my bags and went into the airport.

My flight was only leaving in two hours, so I had enough time to get my ticket checked, get my bags weighed and into the plane and get a few items from the food carts and the clothing stores.

Before I could get to the ticket line my phone rang. I tried to find it in my handbag. I took it out and saw the caller ID.

Mom calling

I answered. "Hello mama, how are you?"

"I'm good... when were you planning on telling us you were going to New York?" She asked, waiting for an answer.

"I thought I did tell you?" Questioning if I did. "Gosh it must've slipped my mind, I'm sorry."

"It's alright just..." she was cut off. " Is that Avery?" I heard my dad ask on the phone. I heard my mom mumble a yes.

"Hi Avery, how are you sweetie?"

"Dad I'm great, but I really need to go." I realised the ticket line started to get long.

"Oh Okay, goodbye then. Have a safe trip. Love you lots."

"Goodbye dad, goodbye mom. Love you both soo much." I hanged up forgetting my mom would've wanted to say something before I go. Oh well she'll call back then.

I walked to the line waiting patiently for my turn to get checked in.

This is going to be a long day.