Colton

"Are you ready, Colt?" Jack shouted.

"Just a minute." I brushed my fingers through my hair, slicking it back with some gel, and then picked up my hip flask and headed to the front door. The lads were already there, waiting for me.

"Are you not pre-drinking?" Sammy slurred ever so slightly.

"Don't need to." I held up my hip flask to them. We left the shared house at about 10:30 and I locked the door behind us. After pocketing the key, we made our way down the driveway to the taxi that waited for us. The four of us piled in.

We got dropped off at Kinnerton street where we met up with about 30 other UCL students. 'The Nag's head' was our first stop. I took a swig from my flask, letting the sour whiskey warm my throat, and grimaced slightly at the taste.

"What's everyone drinking?" Charles asked.

"Pint of bitter for me," I sat down at a table in the far corner.

"Yeah I'll have the same." Sammy and Jack agreed. Charles went to the bar to get the first round of drinks.

The pub was a step back in time; bits and bobs littered the walls. We completely filled the small space, taking up every table in the place as well as the bar.

"Woah, I don't recognise her." Jack gawked towards the bar. I turned to see who he was talking about.

"Who?" I asked.

"The blonde on the far right."

"Hmm." I looked her up and down, and then caught sight of the friend next to her. She was wearing a dark blue top, which was nice, but not as flattering as what some of the other girls were wearing. I was drawn to her, I don't know why because she's not my usual type. I could only see her profile from where I was sitting; she had medium length dark hair, and freckles that littered her entire face. But she had a sweet face, and sharp cheek-bones.

"I'll be buying her a drink later." Jack smirked.

"I'll be buying a drink for her friend." I said, not quite so smugly.

"What? Steph?" Sammy piped in. "She's in my international relations class."

"What's she like?" I asked.

"I don't know, she doesn't say much."

"Hmm." I was intrigued to know her story.

Charles came back with a tray of drinks; 3 beers and a vodka and coke.

"Mate, you're drinking vod and coke?" I laughed.

"Yeah?" He frowned. "I pre-drank with that, I don't wanna mix my drinks."

"Liquor before beer, never fear." Jack recited.

"Not true." I winced.

About an hour and a few drinks later, we moved onto the next stop. The air was cold outside and I hugged my jacket around me. Whoever said that alcohol keeps you warm was a liar. I spotted Steph about 10 metres ahead of me and speed-walked to catch up with her.

"Hey," I said from behind. She turned to look at me, her teeth chattering. "Here." I shrugged off my jacket and handed it to her. She hesitated, but then took it.

"Thanks," she smiled.

"I'm Colt, by the way." I kept in pace with her.

"I'm Stephanie."

"Well it's nice to meet you, Steph."

"It's Stephanie." She snapped.

"People don't call you Steph?" I asked.

"People call me Steph, you don't."

"Well then I'll have to come up with a nick-name; Stephanie is just too long for a guy like me." I laughed. She didn't seem to find it so funny. Tough crowd. "I'll call you 'Nag' since that's where I first saw you." I joked.

"You're a real charmer," she said sarcastically.

"How about I buy you a drink at the next bar if you find me so charming?" I flirted.

"As long as you're not just buying me drinks to get into my pants." She deadpanned.

"Of course not."