Afters / Sam

Something felt off. You were on your way out, off into town to a gig and though usually you'd have been buzzing - gigs being your comfort zone - tonight you just weren't. You felt nervous. Felt like you were on the verge of something big, like you could sense a change coming. 

You didn't like it. 

You shoved your hands into the pockets of your black denim jacket and tried your best to shake the strange feeling off but as you approached the venue the anxiety only seemed to get worse. You weren't happy about because this wasn't just any gig, Sam Fender was one of your favourite artists at the moment and over the last year of going to gigs on and off, you'd actually become quite close to some of the lads in his band. It had started when you'd run into Dean in a starbucks across from the venue they'd been due to play in that night and developed from there. When he'd recognised you in the queue him and Joe had come over, you'd shared your cigs with them and spent ten minutes messing around, having a laugh with them until the doors opened and they realised what time it was. Realised they were supposed to be inside already and would likely be getting an earful from their manager. 

After that you'd spent a little time with most of the lads before or after gigs, and once when you'd run into two of them in a pub in town on their day off you'd cut in on their game of pool and won a pint off them. 

The only lad you'd not met was Sam who was always dealing with his pre gig nerves or sleeping when you ran into the others. From the sounds of it all he did was sleep. You couldn't blame him for that though. 

You pulled your hood up as you walked along the evening streets, the November chill getting to you a little as you approached the venue. 

You really didn't feel like hanging around in the queue tonight, it was cold and because your friend had had to drop out at the last minute you'd be waiting alone. Didn't like the thought of that, not when you were in this mood. 

So you didn't, you stopped at the crossing and turned around, ducking into the coffee shop opposite the venue where you decided to get a drink and watch from the window until you saw the queue beginning to move. 

You only cursed this idea when you saw two figures stop across the street and begin chatting to the kids in the queue. From the fuss you could tell one of them must be Sam. And here you were, watching from across the street, swallowing the urge to abandon your coffee and cross the street because if there was one thing you didn't want to look it was desperate. You felt lucky enough that the other lads treated you as a pal as opposed to just some fan they knew, you didn't want to shatter their image of you by running across the street in a tiz of nerves and excitement over their friend. 

So you swallowed your disappointment and remained in the warmth sipping your latte. At least you were warm, and anyway, you'd see him during the show. You didn't need to hang outside the front with him, it wasn't important. The music and enjoying the show were important. 

You kept telling yourself this as you drank the rest of your coffee, watching as the crowd outside the venue grew bigger, watching as Sam and whoever he was with disappeared back inside. You couldn't help but sigh as finally the queue started moving and you stood up, ready to cut across the road to go in. 

As you left however you bumped into someone who stopped you in your tracks. 

"Thats where you've been hiding!" grinned Dean looking down at you in surprise. 

"Drinkin coffee isn't hiding Dean," you smirked looking up at him a little confused, wondering what on earth he was talking about. 

"Nah," he shook his head, "a reckon you were hiding from us..."