𝗧𝗪𝗢 ּ ˖ ࣪ naivety

The Akuma-kai were a gang that showed up in Tokyo ten years ago.

You remember when you started to hear the whispers. Frightened women would walk at night, clutching their purses and murmuring to their friends about Akuma. Once, you found an older man beaten and on the verge of death in the old alleyway by your favorite city street, his face pummeled in almost beyond recognition. He, too, had cursed the Akuma.

At first, they were a small time group of criminals. And yet eventually, they morphed into the largest gang of yakuza in Japan.

In short, they were definitely not a group that was to be taken lightly.

For example, if you saw someone you suspected to be apart of their gang walking towards you on one side of the street, you would cross to the other side without thought. It was like second nature for people in this age to avoid these men.

They were cruel people, ruthless even, doing anything to get the job done.

Luckily, you have never had trouble with them before. Mainly because you knew how to mind your own damn business, and also... they had no reason to mess with someone as broke as you. Denji, unlike yourself, was tough to wrangle in a lot of the time—and he had gotten close to some less than stellar experiences with the Akuma-kai—but thankfully he knew it was best to listen to you.

He had been that way since you were children, doing stupid shit and only stopping when you and only you told him to drop it. You're reminded of a brief time when he had been convinced he was going to join the yakuza. He was so convinced that he even went around town one night while you were asleep, asking random people dressed like yakuza if their boss would take him in.

Denji was real damn lucky the Akuma-kai wouldn't stoop low enough to beat up a curious seven year old.

It's not like they probably knew where their boss was anyways, it's rumored that no one—not even the mid ranking members—knew the faces or even names of the gangs higher ups. They communicated through proxies or body doubles, the Kumichō himself being particularly sensitive about his identity. No one had ever come close to finding out who he is, no matter how much they tried.

You had never assumed you would ever come face to face with the Kumichō... and you much less expected her to not be a him at all—but a young woman.

𓆩𖤐𓆪

You come to in a hospital room, which is like waking up in another dream.

Your eyes shift around, taking note of the... things that are hooked up to your arm. You don't think you've ever been in a hospital before, and the sensation of something being pricked into your veins makes you want to hurl.

You scrounge together some energy to move your arm that isn't hooked up; which is particularly pitiful considering how difficult it is for you to do so. You raise your fingers over your cheek, and you pinch yourself. Hard.

Once you have clear evidence that you're actually awake in the form of a reddening mark on your cheek, you glance around the room for any sign of life.

Your mind scrambles in indescribable relief once you see Denji in a bed next to you, his face pale... but alive. He's still breathing; and receiving the same medical treatment you probably have.

If someone had told you last week that you would soon be in a comfortable, warm, hospital bed—you would have laughed in their faces.

You're calmed with this development, and yet you cant escape the feeling of... impending confrontation that you feel. Memories come trickling through your mind painfully quickly, like water through a plastic strainer. You feel a headache coming on...