A Disappointing Date

Disclaimer: Hunter x Hunter ain't mine.

"Miss? What would you like to order?"

Senritsu looked up at the eager-eyed waitress staring down at her with a notepad resting between her dark fingers.

"I'll wait for my friend to arrive before ordering," she replied.

The waitress raised her thin, brown eyebrows. "You sure you don't want water or somethin' while you wait?"

"I'm sure," she replied, although she wasn't.

The waitress gave her a tight-lipped smile, before flitting over to the next table and repeating her question. What would you like to order? The man at the table ordered a mocha latte with a raspberry scone, and asked for a glass of warm water with lemon and salt to go with it. That sounds good actually. Warm water with lemon. But not the salt. She had no clue why anyone would ruin water with salt.

The man glanced over at her, catching her staring, and Senritsu pretended to be scanning the café. She had grown accustomed to getting stares, but the ones she received today were of an entirely different kind as she sat inside Café Au Late, the name she thought might have been an attempt to be punny, but failed miserably in her opinion. She had picked this place because it was more upscale than the average café, but not overly expensive as if she were trying too hard to impress someone.

There were not many things in life that disappointed her, but today, as she stared at the doors to the café and waited for Kurapika to arrive, she felt a nagging sense that she would be disappointed over something. What that something was, she wasn't sure, but she knew it would leave a bitter taste in her mouth like warm water with lemon and salt.

Her blond-haired companion appeared, wearing a crisp black suit, at the café's front door. His pretty eyes fluttered around the room, passing over her quickly and she felt a spike of embarrassment run through her body, he doesn't even recognize me.

She waved and called his name when his eyes passed by her again. The look on his face was one of suspicion and confusion.

"Senritsu?" he asked.

She nodded as he crossed the room to stand next to her table.

"Senritsu?" Kurapika repeated.

She smiled. "In the flesh."

"What happened to you?"

The corners of her mouth twitched as she struggled to maintain a grin. "I found the Sonata of Darkness."

She saw cogs turning in his head; he frowned, slightly. "Oh. That's good."

That's all you have to say? She resisted the urge to throttle him, not that she really wanted to. Of all the people she'd been looking forward to showing her new body too, he was at the very top of the list. In fact, he was the only one on the list. She knew he wouldn't be overly impressed with her new look, but still...Her new body would take some getting used to, and he wasn't making it any easier.

"Yeah. How's the hunt going?" She asked, placing a pale hand on the table. He still worked for Light, but he was very much on the way to carving out a path wholly separate from the Nostrade's. Wholly separate from her too, because she had no intentions of becoming a crime lord. And now that she had found the Sonata, it was barely worth it to even continue working for the Nostrade's.

"Okay," he replied. His eyes flickered to her again. Like he's looking at a stranger, which she supposed was true.

"Is it weird?"